Negative Space

A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)

Negative spaces is the space in a piece of art that is not occupied by an object. It is usually one of the darker spaces in the drawing and artists usually fill the space with dark scribbles or ignore it.  

B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your still life drawing?

Negative space was the space in my cut-out that wasn’t occupied by the pink silhouette of the bird. It was relatively simple to find because it was the contrast of two very different colors, pink and green. In my still life drawing, it was also easy to see because the negative space was where the object wasn’t. It was pretty much a black and white contrast.

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

It helps an artist to see negative space so you can define the shape of an object without drawing all the tiny details on the object. Negative space helps define the main focal points on a piece of art.

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not?

I think negative space enhances drawing because it makes the contrast of the object and the empty space more dramatic. This means that you can more clearly show the object without having to define all the tiny details.