Negative Space

IMAG0121
IMAG0121
IMAG0112
IMAG0112
  • A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)
Negative space is the area or background around the main subject of an image. It can be black or white space, but it can also be the actual background, like a forest or the ocean. It highlights the main subject of the image, and brings the viewer's attention and vision where it is supposed to be. It can also balance out pictures, making them have the right amount of background to go with the subject.

• B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your stool drawing?
In the cut out, the color that wasn't making the owl was the negative space (right: pink, left: blue), and in the stool drawing, the negative space was the penciled in parts, or the parts drawn in. They weren't the main subject, and helped differentiate between subject and not subject.

• C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?
Artists can use negative space to highlight parts of their images, as well as make sure the viewer is looking at the right stuff.

• D. How is negative space useful in creating art?
Negative space can be used in many creative ways. Rather than coloring in what you want the viewer to see, you can color in the stuff that you want the viewer not to focus on. Negative space can also be used to highlight special colors or affects, and therefore bring out the creative stuff.