Negative Space - Zivia

Negative space is the area around an object or person in an image that is, for the most part, empty. It is used in photography, drawing, and writing to provide breathing room to the main subject of the piece, allowing the viewer to focus in on the intent of the artist. With this focus, the main image sticks in the viewer's mind, as there are fewer things around in the piece to be distracted by.

If an artist can see negative space, they are able to do two things that enhance their art. The first, like I previously mentioned, will give them the ability to choose what the main focus of their art is, and it’s impact on the viewer. If a piece has text and images, negative space can be utilized to change the focal point of the logo or advertisement. The second is that that artist can play with the relationship between positive and negative space. Two images can be hidden in a single piece, flipping back and forth as the viewer focuses on the positive or negative space. This adds an air of mystery to a piece, and a whole layer of excitement when one finds the picture the was previously hidden to them. (Try looking up “negative positive space logos” in google images and you will find a lot of fun logos to explore.) With their powers in hand, and artist can greatly enhance their piece to, not only please and focus, but excite the brain.

Tree :3
Tree :3
In my cut out, there are two two colors and two sides, each representing negative and positive space at one point. On the left side, yellow represents the negative space. The tree is the main focal point, so it becomes positive space, and the yellow background enhances it. One the right side this is switched. Green is not the negative space and yellow the positive space.