Negative Space drawing Reflection

Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.15 #3Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.17 #2Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.17Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.35

A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)

Think about a normal drawing of an object. Lets use a chair. You would draw a chair, then when you are done you would have the outline of the chair (and maybe some shading too.). Look at the space outside of the object. This is what we call a negative space. In a negative space drawing, you shade all the negative space to make the chair appear. You do not draw the chair first, however.

B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your stool drawing?

In my cutout, I used the templates given to us by Mrs. Hull. The templets were of a shaded part. I had to pieces of construction paper. One was black and one was pink. The pink would be the only paper I would cut. The black paper would stay in one piece the whole time. I cut the correct areas out then traced the cut outs in the onto the pink paper in a way that made the picture half negative, half positive.

In my stool drawing I found the negative space by looking at different shapes in the stools. I pictured the outline in my head then shaded the areas around it. The part of the paper that was not shaded made the shape of the stool.

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

It helps an artist to see negative space because then you get to see both sides of the picture. Positive is one side. The side you see normally. Negative is the other side. The side you see less. With negative space you see it more.

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not

It really depends on how you want the drawing to look. Negative space is good for when you want a darker background. It also makes the drawings more accurate because they will have more points of view. 

Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.17
Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.17
Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.35
Photo on 2011-04-27 at 23.35