Negative Space Reflection

A. Negative space is typically the space surrounding an object. It is a way of displaying the shape of an object using just two colors and without drawing details with pen or pencil. In other words it is the background.

B. In my tree I was able to identify the negative space because I could see the outline of the figure and from there I was able to identify which was the positive and negative space. By having the capability to differentiate between the two I could move on to the more minor details such as branches, roots, and the grass. What helped me the most was thinking of the piece like a mirror, because whatever happens on one side is always reversed on the other and that all the pieces cut off of one were placed on the other.

My still life was my very first negative space drawing. It took me a while to catch on because it was hard for me to see the space in only two colors, white and black. I started off by defining the positive space and from there I was able to shade in the background.

C. An artist needs to be able to define the shape of their subject as clearly as possible. After all having well formed objects is the beginning to every good art pieces. To be able to do so you need at least a basic understanding of how negative and positive space relate and how to be able to see their subject through that lens.

D. Having a clear outline of a shape and being able to see where the background begins makes an art piece much more appealing and pleasant to look at. There is a balance between positive and negative space that we do not always notice. I think that it is very important not to only focus on the positive like we tend to do, but also pay attention to the background.

​(first vantage point)
​(second vantage point)
​(final vantage point)