Negative Space Reflection

Negative Space Reflection:

1. Photograph your negative space cut outs

2. Photograph your negative space drawings

3. Upload them to your blog

4. Answer the following questions in full sentences.

A. What is negative space (explain this concept to a fourth grader that has never heard of it)

B. Explain how you found negative space in 1. your cut out?, 2. in your stool drawing?

C. Why does it help an artist to see in negative space?

D. Does seeing in negative space enhance drawings, why or why not

120427_0001
120427_0001
120427_0002
120427_0002
A. Negative space is the empty space/shapes AROUND and/or INSIDE the object itself. It is NOT the object's space, it is what is NOT visible. For example, when drawing negative space of a chair, you don't color in the chair, you would color the four spaces at the bottom of the chair that you can put your hand through. Coloring in these shapes makes your object appears.

B. I found negative space in 1. my cut out by first identifying the orange paper as my entire bird. Then I took my green paper as my negative space. I collided my orange bird with negative space green and placed it over my bird.

C. Negative space helps artists' create shape and it helps composition and add more emphasis to the subject.

D. Yes because it makes the actual subject stand out even more than it would if you would have drawn it itself. With negative space, the drawing is clearly visable with nothing else and it helps the artist focus on the actual subject, or what's important in the drawing.