North Korea's Dictatorship: Blocked From the World (yatw blog post prt.3)

North Korea Poster
North Korea Poster
PROJECT: NORTH•KOREA BE•AWARE

Hello, if you do not already know me my name is Ameer Holmes. For the third, and final post in my collection of blog posts, I created a video of me spreading awareness on the situation happening in North Korea. I went out one day in hopes to make light of the situation going on in North Korea. I decided to make a poster with the message “North•Korea; Be•Aware”, in hopes that the message would seep through. I placed the posters on cars and around local businesses. I had my mother record bits of the progress in order to document my process.

MY PROCESS

During my quest to raise awareness of the happenings in North Korea, I found that not many people knew what was going on inside the closed city that is called Democratic People’s Republic of North Korea. At first I wasn’t sure how I would portray a situation such as this so that people would care. To many Americans, North Korea is like some inanimate object, or a television placed in a box. North Korea is so distant and out of place that most Americans would find a topic on North Korea completely irrelevant. I just figured I had to make it more relevant, but the question was “how do I do it?”.  By creating posters and posting them around everyday businesses it would be possible to connect the world of casual Americans to the world of the most definitely real North Koreans. Calling attention to a little-known subject matter in a visual way could attract people’s attention and cause them to care because it is new information to them. They wouldn’t be seeing a simple 9th grade boy caring deeply about one situation in North Korea, they would be seeing the tragedy of the situation as it is, and that would make them care.

MY IMPACT

This project helped me become aware of others in a way that would make me think “this isn’t just about me”. This was happening. This was real, and people had to deal with it. I think this one project may have impacted people all over the world. I see myself as a leader, not a dictator, but a president. I feel as though I am the president governing this project, and when I step down from office someone will be there to take my place. I know I can still make a greater impact than I already have, because there is always room for improvement. I will always remember this project, and I will always remember North Korea. I learned that I can take action, that I can take responsibility, and that you can too. North•Korea Be•Aware

Click here if you can't see the  video above

Extra Hyperlinks
Bibliography
YATW Blog 2
YATW Blog 1