Offred's Playlist

Throughout “The Handmaid’s Tale,” we’re told the story from a first-person point of view and as we read on we recognize that the narrator, Offred, isn’t a reliable narrator. This is a literary technique used to describe Offred’s character without using descriptive words. We can also describe Offred’s character with songs.

“Like A Virgin” by Madonna.

The song “Like a Virgin” talks about being intimate with someone you have such big feelings for, the experience feels new when it isn’t. In the story, Offred is in love with Luke; who we know has a wife. There are multiple times when Offred has expressed hopeless devotion to Luke regardless of his beliefs and her situation with Nick. In the scene when Offred kisses Nick in the closet, it’s implied she still thinks of him. “It’s so good, to be touched by someone, to be felt so greedily, to feel so greedy. Luke, you’d know, you’d understand. It’s you here, in another body.” (pg 99)

“Riot Grrrl” by Bikini Kill

A song about SA and rape culture, “Riot Grrrl” is the perfect protest song to the societal norms within Gilead. The construct of Gilead is very oppressive towards women. From the what they wear to how they must communicate their problems, the women of Gilead must operate in a conservative manor. That is why I think “Riot Grrrl” is a good representation of what most women are possibly feeling. The song is hard punk with sensitive lyrics and given the harsh circumstances the women must oblige to, it wouldn’t be far off to assume they have unconscious anger.

“Misery Business” by Paramore

As said before, Offred is been in a relationship with a married man, Luke. “Misery Business” is about getting back at a homewrecker. Although in this situation, Offred is the homewrecker, the narrator of the song has expressed the joy she gets in being with the guy she wants and the joy of seeing said homewrecker upset about it. “Two weeks and we had caught on fire/She’s got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile/ Whoa, I never meant to brag; But I got him where I want him now.” (Misery Business) I think Offred would like this song because of her mischievous personality.

“Just a Girl” by No Doubt

Although I am basing this song selection off of the title, it does connect to what Offred had to go through when Gilead was becoming what it is. In the beginning of the story, we’re in the gymnasium as Offred is connecting her surroundings to things she has experienced and has not experienced. Remembering how school dances take place in gymnasiums and her longing for a sexual experience, we as readers gather that she is as the song chorus puts it “Just a Girl.” “…as I knew from pictures, later in miniskirts, then pants, then in one earring, spiky green-streaked hair. […] There was old sex in the room and loneliness, and expectation, of something without a shape or name. I remember that yearning…” (pg 3)

“Lovefool” by The Cardigans

To be a “Lovefool” means to be in love with someone who does not feel the same. In the book, Offred gets attached to Luke through their affair. She becomes desperate for his love and attention even when he’s not around. However, we are not sure that Luke feels the same. Given that he doesn’t want to divorce his wife, we can assume that he doesn’t feel as strongly about her.