OP-ED

“Since When Is It Okay?”

At an elementary school a teacher had taken a girl’s hair and cut one of the braids. She cut the braid because the girl was playing with it. At another school a teacher kicked out her student because of the kind of hair product she had in her hair. The girl was mixed with black and white and was the only colored child in the class; the teacher was white. She kicked the girl into the hallway and then told her to go to another class were it was all black students. The parents were mad about the whole thing because the teacher didn’t take it up with the parents.

Women have started to have a big eating disorder. About 5-10 million girls in the USA suffer from an eating disorder. One girl name Jade Hughes had a problem with this and was diagnosed with chronic anorexia. She played soccer from elementary to high school was always in shape, was only 120 pounds and 5”4. She was never over weight but because of what people told her she wanted to be in charge of something in her life. She took control of her eating, the only thing she had control over. She had to eventually go to the hospital and got therapy to help her and try to go back to were she was because she had to drop down to 80 pounds.

Women have had a problem lately with being disrespected, frowned upon, and so many other things. Media has become a big factor in why women are looked down on as if they can’t be equal to a male. The music today is all about a girl shaking her butt to a beat and men being put over top of the women. Music went being about the music and something new in life to be about “money, trappin, and hoes.” On Kanye West new CD album he has a picture of a naked white women on top of a black men. Men and women have lost respect for each other they don’t have the same values as people did when back in the 80’s and early 90’s.

When did it become okay for a man to down grade a woman? When did it become okay for girls to call each other out of name and laugh about it as if it was nothing?  These are the questions I ask when I see a women being disrespected by a man who doesn’t even deserve her. These are the types of questions I ask when I walk through the hallways in a high school and see boys cursing girls out like its nothing. Or when I see a boy trying to act like they all big and bad. Why sit there and take that type of disrespect and just laugh about it, it shows what type of women you are when you let that stuff slide. 

As women we should be treated as royalty. Not for the simple fact that we should but we are what keep the world growing. Women need to step up and not take the disrespect that we have already endured enough. We fought for so long to have the same right as a man but in the end we let them walk all over us. It’s time for women to be treated like a women and not a dog. It’s time for change.