Op-Ed

Cruelty Towards Our Heroes

"Raise Officer Patrick McDonald, Badge #2831 as 39-Pat-8, please. Radio, 39-Pat-8… Radio, 39-Pat-8… Radio, 39-Pat-8. Radio 39-Eddie there is no response from 39-Pat-8. 39-Eddie, can I get a time check please? WPRW578, the time is 1:00 p.m. and the date is September 23,2008. 39-Eddie, from his Police family, our thanks for a job well done. Radio; take 39-Pat-8 off the board for the last time. Received, thank you. *EMERGENCY TONE* All cars standby unless you have an emergency. Attention all Police, all units be advised at 1:25 p.m. this date, the 22nd District has retired the call sign 39-P (Pat)-8 for the final time. That’s repeating, at 1:25 p.m. this date, the 22nd District has retired the call sign 39-P (Pat)-8 for the final time. WPRW578, the correct time is 1:39 p.m."

What just ran through your head? I’m guessing a lot. When an officer is killed in their line of duty their call sign or car number is retired permanently. That’s what was going on above. Its a tribute because Sgt. Patrick McDonald was killed doing something he loved helping the ones who needed him the most.

Sgt. McDonald was an Officer I knew. He lived in my neighborhood. Every time I would walk by him or see him up Liberty Bell Field he would hold a conversation with me. “Hello, How are you?” or even just a simple, “hello!” He was there for everyone family, friends, or even complete strangers. He died at age 25 being so young, but dying doing something he loved.

Not only has this officer or sergeant put his life on the line but many other have done so as well. The only thing is most people do not appreciate what one individual Police officer does for his or her district. The rates of an officer getting shot are rising about 0.02% a year. Yes that might not seem like a lot but its said that officers should always go in knowing you will or might have a gun pointed to you and shot.

Police officers need the attitude of, “were going in alive, and coming out the same way!” The 249 Police officers and Sergeants that were killed in Philly all had that attitude, but lost their job because some loser decides to shoot them for doing their job.

There are a selective few of people in the city or state where a Police officer dies, which do not care. Those select few of people are the type of people who trash talk cops and call them all kind of names such as “pigs”.

What bothers me the most is when I hear teenagers going f*** the Police. Funny thing is that if they were in trouble I’m pretty sure the Police are the first people they will call. The select few of people that do not care about Police are the ones who are cold hearted enough to write on YouTube.com their honest truth on how they don’t like cops. I was reading comments on a tribute to Sgt. McDonald, and read the comment “I smell bacon, I smell pork, and run lil piggy I got a fork!”

The things said about our heroes are wrong. The shootings, killings, and injuries need to be cut. People need to stop aiming weapons at police when they are called on a job to help the city. Officers need to put their foot down and by standers need to grow up. When you see an officer just bow your head in respect and realize what they do for you and your peers. When you hear about a fallen hero appreciate it. Just remember who was the savior for you at one point!