Option 3 - Evidence of Globalization in Philadelphia

• What did you find most challenging about this project?

The most challenging aspect of this project option did not lie on the photo, but rather figuring out ways to connect the picture with the larger globalization themes.

• How did you go about collecting the images or selecting the images?

I skim through the collections of photos that I have, as well as wandering around the city with the lens of globalization in mind. Sometimes, I had a very clear vision of the connection between what I see and globalization. However, when it became less relevant and significant once I put it down in writing.

• Which image is your favorite? Why? Elaborate.

My favorite was the pictures of Italian Market. I like the transformation that the place has witnessed over the years. I really wish I have the picture of the place 10, 20, 30 years ago to compare the change.

• How prevalent is the evidence of globalization in Philadelphia? Do you think it is more or less so (evident) than in other large cities in the US? Why Why not?

Globalization is conspicuous arguably everywhere now. However, it has a stronger presence in urban than rural, and even more so in larger urban area. In Philadelphia, it is certainly not that hard to find evidences of globalization, as it is the hub of major activities involving multinational interactions. In larger city, such as New York, it is more ubiquitous, as there are more people, and activities.

• What did you learn?

- That escaping globalization seems to be impossible in Philadelphia.
    - The root of Globalization is strikingly inhuman.