Philadelphia Schools Need Their Nurses (Blog post # 4)

Because of budget cuts Philadelphia school nurses have been cut. So there for there is less care for students with serious heath needs. A lot of neighborhoods with poor health care insurance really depend on a school nurses to help those children who can’t go to the doctors. These nurses that work in the schools have the same education as a nurse in a hospital. So trying to cut back really didn’t do much for the school district but really harm it more. The district already eliminated 47 school nurses in June, leaving just 230 to address the complex health needs of 161,000 students in both public and private schools. Now the district wants to lay off another 51 nurses (10 percent) of what we have now, by January 1, 2012 , SAD !

Acting Superintendent Leroy Nunery and Chief Financial Officer Michael Masch, also announced a significant reduction in school nursing services. By January 1, 2012 schools will know what has been cut with the new budget cuts. So by them doing the budget cuts they plain to save 10 million dollars but at the same time they are trying to do something that will harm something else. It’s no winning here because if they keep the nurses them they are losing money but if they fire the nurses then they are losing people that are needed in the school the most if something goes wrong. Now its bad enough that we don’t have full time nurses but to get rid of them all together are just going to harm the school district really.

I think that if you really want to make a difference then you need to be at one or more of these meetings that they are having disusing budget cuts on school nurses and teachers and so much more.

District Budget Hearings:

The District is hosting several community meetings for the public to weigh in on its proposed 2011-12 budget.

•            Tuesday, May 3, at 6 p.m., Meredith Elementary, 725 S. Fifth St.

•            Saturday, May 7, at 10 a.m., Dunbar Elementary, 1750 N. 12th St.

•            Monday, May 9, at 6 p.m., Conwell Middle, 1849 E. Clearfield St.

•            Saturday, May 14, at 10 a.m., Catherine Elementary, 6600 Chester Ave.

•            Monday, May 16, at 6 p.m., Fitzpatrick Elementary, 11061 Knights Rd.

•            Thursday, May 19, at 6 p.m., Ellwood Elementary, 6701 N. 13th St.

Here are more topics that are becoming a big issue because of the cut backs for schools. Please google each one to see what is really going on I bet it will shock you big time the cut back are out of control. 

- More news stories on the topic, compiled by The Notebook

-District: 3,800 positions may be eliminated The Notebook blog

District Chief Financial Officer Michael Masch presented the 2011-12 District budget and outlined likely areas for cuts if the District funding situation doesn’t change.

- What gets cut, what gets spared The Notebook blog

- Phila. schools to see 16 percent layoffs The Inquirer

- Philly schools may cut nearly 1,300 teachers AP via Bloomberg Businessweek

- School District Calls for Big Budget Cuts Roxborough-Manayunk Patch

- Philly School District Plans 3,820 Job Cuts NBC Philadelphia

- DN Editorial: Killing charter reimbursements could be deadly to school district Daily   News

- A token of school cuts’ disaffection: End of free bus rides Daily News

- District budget slashes deep: Nearly 4,000 could lose jobs The Hall Monitor blog

- Phila. schools may cut jobs to close budget gap 6 ABC

web sites used to help with finding all information above:

http://www.thenotebook.org/blog/114364/today-src-planning-meeting

http://phillyschoolsearch.com/2011/04/28/say-goodbye-to-full-day-kindergarten-philadelphia-and-much-more/

http://articles.philly.com/2011-12-16/news/30524912_1_school-nurses-nursing-services-substance-abuse