Pipeline Monologue Project: Tiarra Bell & Brandon Yam

​In the first unit of the 10th grade World History class, students learned about  global equality and the different ways humans interact with their environment. Some of our topics were education equality, different views of development within countries and about this major project the Keystone XL Pipeline. For the Keystone pipeline we examined both sides of the pipeline, the people who support it and the ones who are against it. To really gain full perspective of whats going on here, we were given a project where we had to construct monologues based off of people we created and how the Keystone pipeline will effect them. 

Keystone XL Pipeline Key facts (Need to Know on PBS): 

* The pipeline would carry oil from Canada’s “tar sands” down to U.S. refineries by the Gulf of Mexico.

*The pipeline starts for Alberta, Canada traveling 1,700 miles  through the United States to refineries in Texas, passing through Nebraska, Montana, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas.

The pipeline will create 20,000 construction and manufacturing jobs and make about $585 million in new taxes. 

*The tar sands oil being drilled carries diluted bitumen, a highly corrosive, acidic, and a blend of thick raw bitumen and natural gas liquid condensate. 

Drilling oil from tar sands threatens the environment, and depleting Alberta’s boreal forests and wetlands in the area. 

Click here to view my monologue and video.