Pipeline Monologue Project

In this unit we covered the topic about the Keystone XL/Tar Sands Pipeline. We learned about how the building of this pipeline effected people and their surrounding whether it be good or bad. We learned to view people’s perspective on this topic and created monologues to represent what we got from this unit. 

-"The Canadian company TransCanada hopes to begin building the northern section of an oil pipeline that would trek close to 2,000 miles from Alberta, Canada to the Gulf Coast of Texas." (http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-and-energy/tar-sands/keystone-xl-pipeline)

-Giant oil corporations invested in Canada's tar sands are counting on the Keystone XL pipeline to make the expansion of oil extraction operations there profitable: The pipeline would double imports of dirty tar sands oil into the United States and transport it to refineries on the Gulf Coast and ports for international export. (http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-and-energy/tar-sands/keystone-xl-pipeline)

-Besides revising the pipeline's course, Keystone XL would also increase capacity by enlarging the size of pipes' diameter from its current 30 inches to 36 inches. (http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/tag/keystone-xl-pipeline/)

-“If we are truly concerned about carbon, it seems to me building a state-of the-art pipeline which is the most efficient way to get -- to move oil around is the best approach.” (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/jan-june13/keystone_02-18.html)

-"This pipeline is a critical infrastructure project for the energy security of the United States and for strengthening the American economy." (http://www.transcanada.com/keystone.html)

No Choice

*walks in and sits at the kitchen table* 

*phone rings, answers*

Ha. You’ve gotta be kidding me right? Out of all things, it would be this huh? Taking away the only stable thing i had. To do what? Build a pipeline? & what is that?... safe and advanced huh? good paying jobs? Like what, the one i just lost? Right, so what does that have to do with the overdue bills? Hungry kids, angry husband? Oh, right. Nothing. Oh 20,000 new jobs? Really? So which one of those 20,000 belong to me? Number 18,142? And what say do i have in this? An unemployed what? Look I’ve never looked at a check that said ‘UNEMPLOYED’ my checks usually say “Hey, thanks for 30 hours this weeks. Here’s you money see you Monday” Do you get where I’m going with this?

*long pause*

I just don’t understand why this is happening. Listen i don’t even use oil, okay? Well, i use like vegetable oil but I‘m sure this isn’t what all the commotion is about. Yeah, yeah i have oil in my car. Listen it came with that, that isn’t the point! What do you mean what’s the point? The point is there’s gonna be a letter taped to my door in a week if i can’t pay rent. The point is i have 4 screaming and hungry mouths, one including a 43 year old unemployed, angry at the world, man. I’m the only thing keeping this boat floating and now what’s gonna happen? Exactly, you don’t know. Listen i get this is a big project, 830,000 barrels per day. Huge deal, i get it. All I’m saying is, this affects more than me. I’m sure of it. I think this whole thing should like stop. You know? Get your money back or something. This pipeline thing seems like too much trouble to me. Some sections have already been built? Hmm. wonder how much that costed. 7 billion what?! You’ve got all this money to build that and you take away my little salary? Well damn, what’d you do with it? Buy lunch? Listen, to hell with this. I seem to have no other choice so I’ll figure something out. I always do.

A Mother’s Concern

The weather is quite beautiful today, although I do wish Danny was around. *looks down* Hm, i should probably get him to tighten up these screws in this old rocking chair. My favorite chair *chuckles*  I could never get a new one. 

*long pause* 

I heard Danny got a new job today! I’m so happy for him, he’s been looking for so long. He even says this one pays good. 

*phone rings*

Hey Danny! How are you sweetie? Thats good, and hows the new job? Well, what do you do there? .. Building a what? A pipeline? Well, for what? Well sweetie, I’m glad that you have this job, I really am and I’m so proud of you. But I’m not sure this is the right thing for you to be apart of. Yeah well, i know. Thats right. It is creating a lot of jobs and good paying at that. Yes honey, that’s great. But I mean, there are a lot of negative effects that have to do with this pipeline.. You don’t know? Well Dan, people are losing their jobs because of this. It’s not as safe and it could pollute a lot of drinking water. I mean this is an expensive deal, didn’t you say the anticipated cost was $5.3 billion? Exactly, thats a lot of money. What kind of economical growth is that? Well yes honey, i know you have nothing to do with that you just work there i understand. Yes of course I’m still happy for you, you know i just don’t fully agree with the whole pipeline situation but i do know it has some good causes, especially because it brought you a job, so I’m very grateful and happy. Yes, alright. I love you too Danny. Ok, bye bye. 

*puts down phone and sighs*

Well i hope the pipeline does some of us some good. I hope some of us have a voice in this. My dear son is now involved, this better be good..

Through My Eyes

*looking over at the people who are protesting near the fence, pulls out his lunch*

Wow, they’re really a lot of people against this. *squints at one of the signs* 

What does that say? ‘NO TAR SANDS XL PIPELINE’ Wow!

You know, before this whole thing started I didn’t have a dime. Living on corners. Out of shelters, in and out of family homes until they wouldn’t put up with me anymore. I think this is a great thing. You know? I’m stable now. Great income and the job isn’t that bad. Heard its helping a lot of people, well it sure helped me i’ll say. Why are people against this? You know how many people got jobs from that? I can first hand tell you how many, about 750 to 20,000 thats how many. And guess what else? I’m one of those people. Some folks just don’t understand. I mean, i guess i can understand their point of view. The lost of jobs and people getting put out of their home because of the way we’re building it...i know thats not fair but...

*shakes head*

We’re set to have this thing up and running by 2015! I think thats great, I mean, you know i get why some people don’t like the idea. It is a lot of money being spent and it affects some people in where they live and all of that but you know, its not all negative. I mean if you can have President Obama approve it, it can’t be that bad. Right? Thats the way i look at it. I mean look at it this way, see when we build this thing, American dependency on oil from The Middle East goes down by like 40%. I think thats pretty good for us. The more independency the better, right? I like being independent. Its a great feeling after having to be dependent on so many people for so long. I can relate to that, yeah that wasn’t fun at all. *starts to reminisce about his past* The other day, i heard this lady talking about how bad the pipeline building is and how they should stop it all blah blah blah. And I’m like lady, you know its people like me that wouldn’t be where I am without this thing? She didn’t want to hear it, she’s one of the protesters I bet. They should really see the bright side of things for once. Well, I’ve gotta get back to work now. I just wish they would see it in my eyes and what it’s done for people like me.