Pipeline Monologue Project

​In this unit we learned about how the building of the Keystone Pipeline has caused a lot of controversies. This pipeline is a project that is about creating a pipeline from Canada through the United States reaching down to the Gulf Of Mexico. By doing so we will be receiving tar sands oil from Canada. We discussed the pros and cons of this in class. In this Monologue Project I present the ideas of three different people who see this in different perspectives.

Five Quotes
  • "will create “about 20,000 construction and manufacturing jobs”

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/five-things/the-keystone-xl-pipeline/12200/

• "With an anticipated decision on the Presidential Permit in 2013, the Keystone XL Pipeline has a projected in-service date of 2015."

http://keystone-xl.com/?gclid=CMeWqOmh5LkCFcyZ4AodKhQAdw

• TransCanada is currently employing 4,000 Americans in Oklahoma and Texas on construction of the $2.3-billion Gulf Coast Pipeline Project, which is expected to be complete by the end of this year. 

• The pipelines will also generate an estimated $5 billion in additional property taxes during their operational life. 

• Numerous studies have shown that crude oil produced from Canada’s oil sands pose no additional safety risks to pipelines and have a similar carbon footprint to other heavy crude oils from around the world. 

The Pipeline Job

(Sitting on the couch, tapping the remote)

Darn it these channels don’t even work! This remote needs some new batteries or somethin’. Allieee! Alliee! What does a guy have to do to watch some TV aroun’ here? Ah there we go, finally its workin’. What’s this? What kind of mess is this? What kind of contraptions do these people be making nowadays? Allie! Come look at this! A fuzzy steering wheel! Who on earth buys them! Ain’t got nothing better to do with their money. I don’t got time for this! Need to see what else is on.

(Clicking the remote)

Nope. No. Oh not again! N- Wait. Ah the news. Oh that pipeline thing they been talking about. I think its a great idea. Hey Allie! Look ‘ere this is what I meant! This could be it for me.

(Allie walks in talking.)

(Jumps up excitedly)

What you mean some other job? It’s perfect. All I need if for that darn pipeline to be built and I could land me a job! I be outta your place before you know it!

(Allie has a worried look on her face.)

You ‘aint got nothin’ to worry about Allie! This is gonna be great! It’s going to help thousands of people land jobs! I’m gonna be one of them.

Allie Allie Allie, you don’t get it. I like to work out in the open. I don’t wanna be taking peoples orders and faking how happy I am, just so I could get a decent tip. No way! That pipeline is gonna be built. It’s all about the government. A few people can’t do nothing.

Protesting the Pipeline

(Shouting at protesters in the background)

Say no to the Pipeline! Say no to the Pipeline! Tar sand will pollute our land! It’ll destroy our forests!

(Walks out of the crowd of protesters)

We’ve been at it for so long. I don’t even know if our voices are going to heard and considered. All the government wants is business. They haven’t even thought about the effects on people. What about the environment? All they want is their stupid business.

(Jacks friend agreeing with him. Nods his head.)

(Jack raises his fist.)

Exactly what I was thinking. I mean there are so many points to be taken into account but they are just ignored. I can list so many things that are being ignored. The carbon emissions are 3 to 4 times more in just the tar sand oil production than regular oil. Just imagine the amount of damage that is going to cause to our environment. Even to just clean out the dirty substances are going to cost us. These substances can get into our clean water supplies. Who’s worrying about that? No one. Just us reasonable people trying to somehow stop this.

I mean no one worries about this stuff. The media doesn’t even cover the effects of this pipeline. No one cares until there problems that start occurring afterwards. What is going to happen to my kids if the water gets contaminated. Do I just let that happen first and then receive benefits for their sickness? This is not a joking matter. Not only for the people here but it is also a danger for my family. We are going to be the ones going through this mess. We need to stop it before it actually causes damage to us and our loved ones. There is no point in taking risks.

(Jacks friend continues to discuss with him.)

I just hope this pipeline isn’t built. It isn’t going to be good for any of us. I mean its one of the most dirtiest fuels on Earth. Why can’t we invest and work on other alternatives for our fuel? Break time is up lets go back now.

(Heads back to crowd of protesters.)

A Native American on the Pipeline

Ahh this breeze feels so good. Just like those good old times I used to watch the birds. But its not the same anymore. Doesn’t have the same earthy smell. Its contaminated, polluted, tainted. Things are just not the same anymore.

(A boy come in yelling something at Nadie.)

Oh yeah. I saw some stuff about some kind of pipeline is going to be built from Canada. What you mean through here? I am not going to give up my land again to these people.

(Yells back to Nadie.)

Who do they think they are they can just come through my land and stick a pipe through it. That’s what these darn Americans know how to do. All they do is invade and take everything from us. I’ve had enough. I sure as heck won’t allow this. They just better find some other way to get their stupid contraption through. They just always worry about their benefits and not about the people. My people have been here for so long and we had moved here so that we could get a peaceful place to stay. But now I see they just keep pushing us around. I’m not letting this happen.

(Rocking back and forth on his chair)

(Waving his hand around as he speaks.)

Boy what are you talking about. I sure as heck am not going to allow their stupid oil down my property; and I am definitely not going to be kicked out! Talking about being used to this. Huh! They just wish I’d give up that easy. Puh! I’ll be waiting here for them. Those men with those fancy clothes trying to get me to sign those papers. Over my dead body. Those conniving people. What good is getting more oil gonna do for them?

(The boy speaks urgently.)

Boy you don’t know anything. That hasn’t stopped these people from taking away things. They took away our lands and our homes, now they want to repeat that.

The foreign oil is also something else. So what? Haven’t they been getting their stupid oil all these years from them.

(Stamps his foot on the floor.)

What now, is that oil contaminated or something? They got a problem with the foreigners now! We sure as heck have problems with them. What happened when they barged into our homes and kicked us out? They are the foreigners! Stupid, dumb government. Huh! Going through my land. I think not! Now you go on off boy. No more nonsense about this pipeline.