Pipeline Monologue Project

Part I: This unit I learned about the Keystone Pipeline XL and the company that plans to extend this pipeline (TransCanada). This project already exists but they hope to extend it from North Dakota and spill out into the Gulf of Mexico. This project is very controversial because of the many good and bad things that come with it. While this project may boost the economy and create many new jobs, there is also a chance that it could leak and ruin out freshwater. Another thing we studied this unit is as to why the world is so unfair.

Part ||:
1) The Keystone Pipeline XL could create 20,00 jobs (http://keystone-xl.com/about/the-project/) {link can be used for numbers 3-5}
2) Only 2,000 jobs will be kept (http://350.org/)
3) Oil comes from Canada (no more "foreign oils")
4) Will carry 830,000 barrels of oil a day
5) Will cost $5.3 billion dollars 

Part III: 
  By the Wind

*On phone with her granddaughter. *

*Sighing* Hmph, I remember when I was young. You know, the good old days, where the hills and rivers were alive? Well maybe YOU don’t, but I do. My best friend was a duck. I know, I know, kind of stupid right? Every morning I would take cereal out of my own breakfast and save it for her. She’d come out of her resting spot and spend the entire day with me. One day, these big guys came knockin’ on our door. They started talking, talking about building houses and tall buildings around our way. Apparently, the entire neighborhood had signed this lease thing, saying they agree to this idea. Well, my father was so angry, I could see the veins in his neck popping out. The man left with his paper unsigned and a frown on his face. Two weeks later, I stood waiting for her, only to find out that those same men destroyed her home. They started building a huge apartment complex. It was then I realized how unfair this world was. Our ancestors were ridiculed and even now in this modern world we are seen as inferior.

Now, enough talk from me, what’s new in your life? A new man, huh? Well, he better be a looker and smart too! You make me proud to call myself your grandmother. You always did take after your mother, she was a good woman. I never had trouble raising her, even when her father was away. Yes I know you miss her, I miss her too.

*Tears swell in her eyes. She looks for a way to change the subject*

Tell me about that job you mentioned last time. You don’t want to talk about it? Why not? Come on, tell me, it can’t be that bad. It isn’t illegal or immoral right?

*Chuckles*

Then keep on talking. What is the company called again? TransCanada, and they’re building a pipeline that runs from Canada and spills into the Gulf of Mexico? Now, what kind of oil is being used in this project? If the crude oil is to spill into the water don’t they realize they are ruining what little is left of the fresh water we have!?

*Starts to yell with anger*

Don’t ‘freak out’, tell me this Anna, how is this benefiting to the country if we’re ruining the earth while doing it? We get what we give An. This earth is as much alive as you and I, if you were to give me poison I would die. That is what they are doing to the earth.No I am not overreacting. Goodbye Anna, I have to go.

*Hangs up phone and slams phone down in an angry manner*

‘Don’t overreact’. Don’t overreact?! This earth has been abused by us humans so much, yet still, she gives us shelter. Is it worth it? Is destroying a world worth a few years of economic growth?

This Life

(Talking to wife) Wow, don’t you look tired sweetheart? (Hold her hand and helps her sit down) Waitressing and working at hotel must be draining. Why don’t you sit down and let me take care of that, I don’t need you to strain yourself even more darlin’. Do you want me to warm something up for you? No? You want a massage or something? No? How about--Oh. You don’t need my help?

(Gets up with his fists clenched tight.)

That’s all right, it’s not like anybody ever needs me anymore. No, no, don’t feel bad sweety, I’ll just take a walk or something. You know, clear my mind, might even find me a job.Sit down!  

(Speaks through his teeth)

I said I’m fine!

(Walks to car, turns on radio and sits there. Starts to mutter to himself)

Don’t need my help for anything anymore. Maybe if I had something to do, anything, just something to do. I don’t want my wife to do everything. Providing the money, paying bills. This damn sure ain’t right. I’m the man. I have to be providing for her, not the other way around.

(Man on radio begin talking) What the hell is he talking about? A pipeline is to be built? Now that’s stupid, don’t we already get oil from those foreign countries? What is the point of doing all of this extra work? I mean, those countries already despise us and earn near nothing for all of the fortunes they provide us, but it has to count for something right? Whatever, I don’t need to hear this, doesn’t concern me or my needs. 

(Leans over to change radio station. Starts to talk about jobs)
It could make 20,000 jobs? Well isn’t that something. Maybe, just maybe this isn’t as bad as it seems.

(Exits car and walks back into house. Begins to yell out for his wife)

ALLY! Honey listen up, I think that i’ve found a job. Where is it? Uhm well somewhere around here, it’s a good job honey. What kind if job is it? Uhm well it was to build this pipeline that carries some type of oil, what was it called, uhmm…. Crude oil, yea that’s it. Crude oil. Well how the hell am I supposed to know if it’s good for the environment! Aren’t you glad I found a job?! We can worry about the environment later on. Do I know if it’s definite? What is this, 20 questions? Uh well no I don’t know for sure but it is an opportunity.

(Begins to talk in a mutter with his head hung low) I can finally start making some money. You know, providing for you, being the man I should be.

Mommy?

(Talking with her son on the phone)

Hi sweetheart … how was your day? Were you good in your class,  You promise you were good? You what you get if you were good

(Smiles)

Oh, you don't want anything? Now, come one what do you want mommy to get you? You just want to spend time with me? Awww, how about this. I will be home for dinner tonight. Yes I promise i won't be late. you know why I'm always late. I have work to do. No i promise work is not more important than you. I love you more than anything and anyone in the world, Okay do you wanna know what I do at work so you know why I'm always away? Okay so I'm a big producer at this company. You know I'm all the way at the top. At the top of the what? At the top of the company sweetheart. What I do is, i am trying to make sure this pipeline isn't built. What do you mean? What's pipeline? It's this biiiiig pipe that goes underground and carries oil. So you know the president right? President Obama?

(Chuckles slightly)

Yes, I know you helped vote for him. Kay. If I do my job right, and everyone else does their job right, we can stop obama. Well this is what will happen, you know the water we have now? The nice yummy water? In the rivers, the oceans and all those fun creeks we go to? Well, if this project happens, and a small little leak or like a crack happens that oil can ruin the small amount of freshwater we have. Yes I know the earth is 75% or was it 60% of water, hmm, better look that up. So if water gets into it, we only. Okay let me get this straight, sweetheart so you don't get confused and I don't either. The world is mostly salt water and that's the water we can't drink and then there is this tiny tiny amount of water we can drink which is freshwater. So if this oil-this pipeline is built and the oil leaks into that water, that's gonna mean no more water for us. And that means we're gonna have to go aaaalllll the way to get salt water. Do you want salt water sweetheart? No, I thought so because I don't like it either.  Kay? I understand that you're like 'ooooh this is just a pipeline, you don't need to do anything about it' But think about it, you love those fishies right? Yea I know you do because you have one of them in your -- our home. But if this pipeline is built all of the fishies will die. Then who will take you fishing? Yea well not who but what will you do when you go fishing?

(Starts to frown and looks sad. Voice breaks slightly)

I know that sometimes I get a little too carried away at work and that I might spend a little too much time there and don't spend enough time with you, but I promise sweety, I swear that if this project is over. If obama, the president, declines the project. I promise I'll spend more time with you and I'll take you to chuckie cheese, and maybe we can go to the playground and have a little picnic. Yes, I'll even be there for your birthday. I promise I won’t be late for dinner. Yes, I love you too.

(Hangs up phone, with tears in her eyes)