Pipeline Monologue Project

In my project I wanted to show different views from different kinds of people. I showed a pipeline worker, that would normally be for the pipeline. I made it so he didn't like working there and he was against the pipeline. I also made one of my monologs in the view of someone for the pipeline. I wanted to raise the issues of the pipeline having spills and being really dirty oil.

A Protestor’s Speech

You are talking quietly to yourself as you are standing on the stage about to a crowd of protesters at the protest in front of the White House. 

Thinking to yourself:

My name is Amelia and I am one of the protesters against the Keystone XL Pipeline. I’m standing here in a crowd of people who are trying to get Obama to stop this pipeline.  I am on a stage, about to tell people what I have to say. 

Your hands shaking with excitement and fear. You start speaking in the microphone.

“I’m Amelia. I live in Oklahoma and this pipeline will be going right through my backyard. I have a message for the government from the people of The United States. Yes, it would create jobs, but is it really worth worth what it would cost to clean up the amount of oil leaks and spills per a year? The first Keystone pipeline caused twelve spills in the first year. Remember the BP oil spill of 2010? Well there could be a lot more of that. Wild life would be in danger. Fish would die and there could be a short supply of food. It would be a catastrophe if a spill happened. Tar Sands oil is among the dirtiest carbon-intensive fuels on earth. As you probably know, there was a tar sands oil spill in July in the Kalamazoo River. You can’t build this. Its not worth it. There are other ways to create jobs. And even more ways if you keep the money you would need to clean up spills. I just hope you are listening.”

You step down from the stage, giving the mic to the next person as the sound of roaring cheers for your speech fill your ears.

Video Diary of a Pipeline Worker

Your sitting in a bulldozer holding your camera in front of your face. You are recording a video so you can show people how awful it is to work at the pipeline. You start recording the video and speak in a nervous, whispery voice because you are scared you will be caught not working. 

“Hi everyone. I am sitting here in a bulldozer, working on the Keystone XL Pipeline. I have no idea why I’m working here because I’m fully against the pipeline. Let me tell you a bit about me. I grew up in the US, got married happily, and had three beautiful children. We were living in peace and happiness but then I lost my job and we went broke. The only job I could get was in Canada working on the pipeline. My family had to move to Canada. Now, I’m sitting here thinking about how its such a horrible place. Ugh! Theres the feeling is again. It comes about five minutes after I get here and never leaves. Its the feeling of pure dirt like you need a shower right away. You work here with the messiest kind of oil there is. Its made of clay, sand, water, and bitumen. Bitumen is this horrible heavy black viscous oil. This is one of the worst jobs you could ever imagine. When I’m working, I never stop wanting another job, preferably back in the United States. I have to hide the fact that I don’t agree with who I am working for. I don’t want to be fired, at least not before I can find another job. I hate the fact that I’m destroying the earth. I just want to be back in California where I grew up. I gotta go, the boss is coming”

You quickly turn the camera off.

Police Officer at the Protest

Puts handcuffs on a young man.

Why are these stupid protestors bothering everyone? I should be having a relaxing day at work, but instead I’m putting handcuffs on, oh I don’t know, maybe the tenth person I’ve arrested today? Why couldn’t I just be relaxing by the edge of the highway, waiting for some speeding car or something like that? These people are smiling as they get arrested. Who do they think they are? I don’t get it.

Starts shouting at a guy who is trying to take your picture.

“Now theres a camera in my face? Are you trying to take my picture, or the picture of the person I’m arresting? Stop pointing that camera at me!” 

Tries to cover face and put another set of handcuffs on someone at the same time. 

I have no idea why they are protesting this pipeline. I think it is a great idea. The U.S. needs more oil, and more jobs. My cousin is unemployed and is close to homelessness. This pipeline would give him a chance at work. If these people are really going to protest this, why can’t they do it somewhere thats actually legal? Why do it in front of the White House? 

Your friend comes over and takes the guy you about to put in the cop car. You start handcuffing someone else. All of a sudden the guy your arresting says your name. You realize its your old friend Sam. 

Oh great, my old friend Sam is being arrested now, by me. And now he’s talking about the pipeline. Now he's asking what I think about it? I remember why I stopped being this guy’s friend in the first place. 

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7b-4bqRrz03ZmM4Y2ZjNjMtOWQwYi00MWZkLTgyMWQtM2JjYjc3M2VmNmM2&hl=en_US