Pipeline Monologue Project

Part I:

In this unit, I have learned about the many advantages and disadvantages of the Keystone Pipeline. The Keystone Pipeline is a proposed seven billion dollar pipeline that is supposed to carry oil from Canada’s tar sands all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. This pipeline seems to be a problem all around the world and has been the topic of discussion for years now. I have been able to read and watch many articles and videos about this pipeline to try to form an opinion on it. Most the videos I watched seemed to be very happy about the coming of the pipeline, (which came off as one sided and biased) while in articles, they were all talking about how bad this would affect our world. After reading and hearing all these opinions and information about the pipeline in this unit, I am feeling really excited to see the outcome of this project.  

Part II:

- “The Keystone XL project is a proposed extension of the Keystone pipeline, which became operational in June 2010.”

(http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/five-things/the-keystone-xl-pipeline/12200/)

- “The Keystone XL Pipeline Project is a proposed 1,179-mile (1,897 km), 36-inch-diameter crude oil pipeline, beginning in Hardisty, Alta., and extending south to Steele City, Neb. This pipeline is a critical infrastructure project for the energy security of the United States and for strengthening the American economy.”

(http://keystone-xl.com/about/the-project/)

- “If we are truly concerned about carbon, it seems to me building a state-of the-art pipeline which is the most efficient way to get -- to move oil around is the best approach,” (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/jan-june13/keystone_02-18.html)

-  “The pipeline will have capacity to transport 830,000 barrels of oil per day to Gulf Coast and Midwest refineries, reducing American dependence on oil from Venezuela and the Middle East by up to 40 per cent.”

- “Unfortunately, an area the size of Florida is already set for extraction. Before TransCanada can begin construction, however, the company needs a presidential permit from the Obama administration because the pipeline crosses an international border.”

(http://www.foe.org/projects/climate-and-energy/tar-sands/keystone-xl-pipeline)

Part III:

Ralph’s Episodes

(Walks into his office, takes off his coat and sits down at his desk to see all of his co-workers long faces and subtle movement) Ugh. I just can’t take it…  the.. the the silence in here is unbearable. Hey…. Hey.. What’s up with you guys? (No one answers and they all look at him with blank faces) HELLLOOO? Can you guys stop acting like complete jerks and talk? We have work to do and you guys are all sitting around doing nothing. WTF?

Th- The Pipeline? What’s wrong with it? Isn’t it great?!

My problem? What do you mean what is my problem? You guys are the fucking crazy ones. (Chuckles) You all don’t agree with it? We- We went over this in a meeting yesterday! You all agreed then!

WOOOOOOO! Big FUCKING whoop! Since when did yall ever care about anyone else not- n having a job after the pipeline? Who the hell cares? You’ll still have you job so just shut your mouths! So what if their families suffer? You still have food… don’t you????? Oh yeah, thats right, you will. And what is this about it’s going to cause the th the production of greenhouse emissions that contribute to climate change. Is this science class, no I don’t think so. That’s quite ridiculous for anyone to be worried about, don’t you think?

Listen here and listen good. The Pipeline is amazing. It’ll improve so much. You all are so worried about facts well here ya go: Canadian oil resources will limit the U- U.S.’s dependence on foreign oil, if there is greater access to oil, that will push down the world's crude prices, and we will generate 1.8 b-b billion dollars in economic activity during construction in Nebraska alone. How’s that for ya? Hu, HUH?

What?! (Snatches off hat & becomes even angrier) Now you’re worried about tar sands?!?!?!?! GOD, just kill me would ya please?! Why do you assholes care about that HUH? If the pipeline wears out that’s where the builders will come in to refuckingbuild it okay idiots? You all are so quick to think you know it all, WHEN YOU DON’T!

An- And you know what? Those tar sands, that’s not even gonna happen. There are so many plus’ to this pipeline and you all are looking for ways to tear it down. (looks around at everyone in the office paying close attention to his answers towards different people in the room) You guys need to seriously get over it. This shit is happening, and it’s happening now. Next meeting is in 20, be prepared to not FUCKING CHANGE YOUR MINDS!

(Grabs his coat and leaves with a disgusted look on his face)

Beatrice’s Distraught

(Hears noises outside, recognizes them & decides to join in today’s protest) (Walks outside and is confused)

What the heck? My lord what is going on?! Why are there people being arrested? (She had never witnessed people getting arrested for protests before)

Wait! Why are these innocent protesters getting arrested?! They are all over the place! Oh my gosh, SUSAN?! AND ANNIE?! God my beautiful neighbors!

(Sees police officer and runs up to him to ask questions)

Wait….. what?! This doesn’t make any sense. How is this illegal? This happens all the time. They are just fighting for what’s right! Why are you all arresting them?!

What do you mean they’re disrupting a neighborhood, disturbing the people in it?! I live in this neighborhood and I am NOT disturbed! I completely agree with them! Do you even know what they are protesting about?

(Looks at the police officer's face and shakes her head after he says no)

They are angry about the Pipeline and how it is going to destroy our world! And do you know how much money is being spent for all this buffoonery?! It is a 7 billion dollar proposed pipeline! That is ridiculous! Do you know what we could be using this money for, i mean, we -----

(the policeman cut her off)

(Her face drops & she is taken back after the police officer interrupts her)

Excuse me! You didn’t have to be rude! I was just helping YOU learn about the pipeline! Okay, I don’t care who you are! Police Officer or not, you are WRONG! I actually came out here to protest and fight for what is right, and if you can’t see that this pipeline is is is… is ABSURD, you’re an idiot!

(Looks up at police offer and stares right into his eyes) I have a right to speak my mind and speak the truth! It is pathetic that the employment rate will go DOWN after this, not up! 40% of people in the U.S. work at gas stations and they get paid minimum wage at that! What will all those people do? Don’t you think they have families to take care of?

So you think people that work to help build the pipeline aren’t gonna have jobs? Yes they will! Just because they are working to build the pipeline doesn’t mean that’s the only job they are assigned to to build! They work on different projects! But it’s different for the workers at gas stations. They can’t just move on to another thing!  It doesn’t make any sense for to be arresting people. Don’t we have freedom of speech? You are just wasting your time in the ferocious heat trying to arrest people when you know you can’t get them all.

(Laughs at herself in her thoughts) Ha… you know what? Why am I here fighting with you when I can be making a difference. (Starts walking back towards her home & starts talking to herself) I don’t think i’ll stop protesting.. but I guess I should benefit myself. I’ll take it to the government. All I have to do is write a letter… and create a petition! hmmm….

(Walks into house & shuts door)

The Undecidable Bob

(Outside, sitting down at his assigned worksite for the pipeline creation eating his lunch)

Hey (whispers to another worker) When did you start working here? 3 years ago?! WOW. Can you just hear me out really quickly? Uhhhhhh,  I just need someone to listen to me. My thoughts about this pipeline have been crazy lately! I need to get this off my chest.

(Smiles at his cobuilder who says he’ll listen)

Okay.. thanks! So ummm, about a year ago I started working to help build this pipeline. At first, boy was I ummm. excited ! I used to take on any task and build anything anyone would ask me to. But uhh now, in all honesty, I hate this job. I have to work out in the sun every single day and I don’t get paid much. But I have to do it for my family.

I mean… I uhh, maybe I would like my job better if it were for a better cause. I mean, I ummm, I understand the point of it, but I don’t necessarily think that this is the best way to approach this situation. On the bad side, people are gonna lose their jobs. But on the good side it is “supposed” to help the economy.  It’s like, I understand it, but I don’t think it is completely right or fair to both sides of people. The ones who agree, and the ones who disagree.  I have to keep working for the money too. If not, I can’t pay rent, or I won’t have gas money. I have a family to raise and I can’t do that with no money.

You do know that the pipeline is supposed to be carrying oil from Canada’s tar sands  and down to U.S. refineries by the Gulf of Mexico, r-r right? (Looks at his cobuilder for reassurance)

I don’t think that all the protesters will be able to open the governments as to see that this pipeline is affecting them and that it is wrong. People don’t have power over the government. I mean maybe some people will change their minds, but they won’t put a stop to it. Especially after all the money proposals and time has gone into it so far. And the poor government, they have to ignore all these people and just go along with it. I bet you some of them don’t even agree as much, like me, but need their job.

(Shakes his head and becomes embarrassed)

You know what, umm, sorry. Uhhh, nevermind. I’ll be fine, Ummm. I don’t know why I’m pouring my feelings out to a stranger, umm. Sorry, s-s-sorry.

(Backs up quickly and removes himself from that very awkward position.)

Part IV: