Pipeline Monologue Project- Jeffrey Schwartz

The purpose of this project was to fully express the pros and cons of the tar sands oil project, in a way that show you know what you’re talking about and in a descriptive story format. Also it is important to show the US or global priorities and the relationship between humans and the environment.

MONOLOUGE 1

( I am writing on a small piece of paper speaking what I am writing.) (Left arm is holding paper does not move throughout monologue.) Jack! Watch out!” The last words I heard before the ground crumbled from under me. It gave way with no resistance at all. I plunged weightless into a dark hole. My hands scraped against the wall of the cave as I fell. I could feel myself tumbling down and incline fast. The light above me became smaller and smaller. I could here the yells of my friends become fainter. Rocks continued to drive themselves into the back of my head.(switch to other side of business card) I tried to extend my arm to slow down my fall, up to my shoulder was quickly caught in a deep rock formation. I heard a loud crack as my arm bent against my elbow.(Cringe slightly) It became limp.( Arm is still at side not moving) The excruciating pain pumped me with adrenaline, and I pulled on my arm. I could barely remove it from the hole. How would I get out?

(take out new business card)

Journal entry #2

I tried to make a makeshift splint out of an old Forbes magazine I had in my back pocket. I had to tie my belt to it, hard. My bones moved around as the cast slipped and belt broke. A red-hot spike wedged itself into my arm with every clench of my hand.  And every time I did that my grip tightened. So far I have been able to drink from a slow refilling puddle. It has been pretty bad. (Look to right as if staring at mud puddle) I have no idea if this pipeline will be worth it. 900,000 barrels of oil a day sounds pretty nice, but if there’s a leak all hell would break loose. Maybe that would happen I don’t know. But just before I fell into this hole I worked with the steel to build the pipe. It’s weak stuff, brittle and bendy. They say it would be like the BP oil spill but on land, if it did leak. Also I hear it’s going over this real important fresh water source for like two million people. Even so, I guess I need this to be built. I need money and a job hasn’t been the easiest thing to get recently. I watched the news and they said that around 4000 jobs would be created just to build the pipeline. I need that now. I don’t know if anyone would find these last notes but I just wish they know how I’m going to end.

Journal entry #3

(Pretending to right on a business card) I’m down to my last business card to right on. And my pen dots each letter with its remaining ink.(Shake pen as if you need more ink.) I was lying there using a boulder on my lower back to boost my posture; maybe it would make me more comfortable. They told us that this would help America. Raising the economy, and all that. Only a simple pipe, traveling from Canada to Texas to make this dream come true. “yea right,” I thought, “Only!” Only doesn’t fix my arm or help me out of this cave. Only won’t make the lives of countless Americans livable and fulfilling, just because they got more oil. I never thought like this. But now I think I see how important it really is.

MONOLOUGE 2

( Reading his thoughts aloud)

“What do you think I’m doing? Where’s my suit, is it ironed? Wait in the car!” I looked in the mirror. My suit, not ironed, was wrinkled and blue. (Gingerly touching the suit trying to manually straighten the bends.) My suave slick hair became streamlined with every comb stroke. (slowly combing hair) My black and striped suit matched it.

I needed this win. How couldn’t I get it? I’m sure everyone is “ok” with a few more billion dollars floating around. (Chuckle)  One would put me ahead. I know how much I need this, how much America needed this. Common all it takes is a narrow pipeline from Canada to Texas, quick and easy. No harm done. I laughed (chuckle some) at my sure to work plan, while knotting my tie. (Knot tie) I picked up my jacket slung it over my shoulder and made my way out the door. (My smile drooped) with the sight of my wife. An early fight scarred this evening. I tried to forget about it.

(I poured a sip of celebratory wine, loosened my tie and kicked off my shoes.) I took control from my legs and they placed me on the bed. Blood gushed to my feet, hurting them more. (Squeeze and hold feet, as if in pain) I had won. They accepted the pipeline; with a 64% approval I was all-powerful.

Being the general manager of soon to be the biggest and most important company in the world made me think. Was it all worth it? Did America need more oil, supplies, and money? 900,000 barrels a day would be great! What am I thinking of course we needed it? All it is, is just a practical incision here or over a unused lake there. Now were talking! I was on my way. On my way to becoming the most powerful man in the world!

MONLOUGE 3

(Bent over somewhat crazy looking, very angry) (Man is talking to himself)

“Practical I’ll show them practical.” (Rubbing hand together as if plotting) “I’ll just go there now and tie myself to a tree. That’ll show ‘em. Of course it is dangerous, but what choice did I have?” (Has a sadder look now, not hunched over anymore) “If the only thing in my way was that dreadful Politian with his greased hair and posture, then I was gonna do it. (Angered face returns) I was going to stop the Tar sands pipeline by myself. I don’t need any help I never have.” (starts to smile) “Honey, where are those chains I bought last week?”

(Wife answers back, that she has no idea.) (Man becomes furious wheezing and yelling.) (Speaking to himself again.) “After all I’ve done for her, after all we’ve been through, she can’t keep an eye on my chains! It’s ok ill go alone, she doesn’t deserve me!”

(In Canada where the pipeline will begin.)

(Construction worker is trying to get crazy man down from the tree. Crazy man is responding to construction worker.) “ Don’t you think I know it will create jobs? Yes, thousands! But protecting the environment is vastly more important. They built a pipeline just like this and said it would only leak one time in the next seven, already it has leaked over 12 times! I know that your just a construction worker but you have to understand how important this really is. I don’t care if your doing your job I’m not leaving this spot!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiB56Hrjio