Pipeline Monologue Project by Ryan Shaw

​This monologue Project has taught me a lot. Not just about the environment, but also about acting, and monologues. They are hard to write, but only because Mr. Block pushes you to strive. In my monologues, I wanted to show what could happen, and that's why all of them are in the future. The first one is the President of the United States in the year 2059. The next one is a young man with respiratory problems, where he can't leave his home because the air is so polluted. The final man, is a historian, that is giving a lecture at a college about Obama's decision. My goal was to directly show how the future could be affected by his plan, but to show that it's because of our hunger for petroleum that's doing it, and that the pipeline is just a way to get it to us.

"An Address to a Dying Nation."

The president of the United States sits down to address the nation, in 2059, live, on national Television, in a dark, smoggy picture of New York, New York in the background.

Nation, I’m here tonight to talk about the increasing risk of natural disasters in our nation. In this year of 2059, I think it’s possible for everyone to sit down and have a serious discussion with the rest of your family about what they can do to help the environment. The carbon level is over 400, and if we don’t get it down soon... then there won’t be a nation to save. The water levels have swallowed the entire state of Florida. The evacuations helped, but there were those who stayed. Millions dead, San Fransisco is in the worst flood in the history of the US with every rainstorm with Atlanta following suit. While the coasts are flooding, the plains are having the worst drought in years. In a few locations, there has been recorded less water than most deserts. Hawaii is wiped off of our maps, leaving millions dead. The Earth that we so love, has turned against us. Our days of taking oil in any from her is over. The United States of America could’ve avoided this had it not been for the permission of major oil companies from the previous presidents to drill, and to import oil. Our world is suffering because of us, our ancestors, and our leaders’ mistakes. Please, America, do whatever you can to help the environment and stop these disasters. From the United States President, signing off. God Bless America. 

Camera Clicks and reporters asking questions as President John Jacob Jinglehimer-Schmidt exits the room.

"The Result"

In a hospital bed, a young boy is breathing from oxygen, and he has to take frequent breaths while speaking. (in the future)

All of my life, I’ve been here, in this hospital.
Takes a deep breath.
Ever since I was born, I’ve had a resipiratory disease. I can’t breathe the air outside.
Takes a deep breath.
The air outside is so bad now. Maybe-
Takes a deep breath.
Maybe I could’ve been able to breathe, years ago, when the air wasn’t so bad.
Takes a deep breath.
But now, now the air is horrible. I’ve only been outside once.
Takes a deep breath.
I had to take a tank of oxygen, and I could only visit the hospital garden before I had to go back inside.
Coughs multiple times before he calms down and relaxes.
It was beautiful. The Garden. I’ve seen pictures of the rest  of the world though.
Takes a deep breath.
It’s so smoggy. The world might’ve been a better place had we made better decisions.
Takes a deep breath.
It’s just so unfair!
looks over at the oxygen tank.
I have to breathe with this stupid tank all of my life while the other kids get to run around and have fun!
Breathing becomes more rapid.
Why am I paying for someone else’s mistake?!
Takes a deep breath.
I could’ve lived a normal life, but no! I had to be stuck in this hospital all of my life, paying for people before me’s mistakes!
Breathing becomes extremely rapid, before fainting from lack of oxygen.