Pipeline Monologue Project Part 1

Mr. Block assigned us a project to write 3 or 5 monologues, that had different opinions on the Keystone XL Pipeline. My project had 2 men, and a women. The women was living in Texas with her family. The pipeline, (if built) would be underneath her property, which caused her lots of worries. She doesn't want it to be built. The one man I wrote about, is an environmentalist that was just arrested in front of the White House and is mostly proud of what he did. The other man I wrote about was a blogger, who was a little selfish on his opinion, only thinking about himself, then soon realizes the major impacts. I wanted to put all the statistics out there about the pipeline, and get different views on it.

Annoyed Mother

(Sits down at her desk) Ah, I finally get to sit down! (Pulls out the newspaper) Let’s see what the news is today…(reading the newspaper and turns to the news section) Ugh, another pipeline? This is all they do; dig up the ground near my land! Why don’t they dig somewhere else? If this pipeline leaks, I’m in trouble. I don’t want that pipe right below us! It could create toxic wastes and make my kids and husband to get sick; I can’t risk that. We’ve been living here peacefully for over ten years, and have never had issues. I feel like most of the time, these oil companies only care about their businesses. They don’t even realize how this could affect people like us! I ought to go down there and give the president of this company a little piece of my mind. Their excuse will be, “Oh, it creates more jobs for those in need, and now we won’t have to get oil from other countries.\\ Well, to me, there are plenty more, safer, and better jobs out there these! If I were working for this company, I would feel guilty. Workers like these are risking other people’s lives just to make a living. I’m done with this! Where are the comics? (Flips through paper angrily)

Behind Bars

(Talking to himself, holding onto the jail bar) Why me? All I ever try to do is make the world a better place. It’s not fair. I feel proud of myself for standing up in what I believe in, and more people should. I woke up on September 3rd, 2011 hoping to make a change. After marching for hours, it seemed almost useless, since most of us were being walked out in handcuffs afterwards. But, I was proud of myself, and felt like I sent out a message to lots of people. Maybe more people will try to make a difference. Most of these oil companies, don’t realize, or don’t care, that this could contaminate our water, including theirs! It’s running underground through lots of homes, which is also risky. People who are up for the pipeline, use the only argument they have, it will create jobs. There are so many more reasons on why we shouldn’t do this. As I said before, it could contaminate our water in millions of people’s homes. It also creates lots of pollution in the air, which can be toxic. Along with pollution, the pipes can leak and destroy our towns. (Sigh) How come people don’t realize what we’re doing to this country? Year after year, our country builds all sorts of new pollution guzzlers. We as environmentalists need to stand up for what’s right, and after we build this pipeline, it’s game over for the

Clueless Blogger

Posting video on blog, sitting at desk

Hi, I’m Steve Morrison! If you read my blog lately, a lot of people have been asking me about the XL pipeline that has gotten people’s attention lately. See, I don’t have a problem with it. Most of the people, who don’t want it built, are the one’s who are worried that when it’s built near their property, it will leak and cause problems. Others, are just environmentalists who just like to stop everything. Look, I don’t have a problem with the pipeline. I live in Orlando, Florida, so therefore it will not be running anywhere near me. Also, what about all the jobs it could provide? Many Americans have been struggling to find work lately, and this pipeline can provide many jobs. Hey, it’s also cheap and reliable. Even if I didn’t want this pipeline to be built, I wouldn’t go all the way to the Whitehouse, protest for days, just to get arrested. No thank you! I guess I could see why many people aren’t in favor of this. I mean yeah, there is a chance it could leak, but I’m sure these pipeline people know what they’re doing! Hm, I guess they do have to cut down lots of trees to make room… and even more carbon dioxide will be released into the air for this process. Oh, gosh. Maybe I should try to, nah I don’t want to go crazy, but I don’t want to be harmful to the environment. Bloggers, I’ll get back to you later!