Playlist

Playlist

Song #1 Bridge over troubled water -johnny cash

Johnny Cash’s rendition of bridge over troubled water is a heartfelt cover of the original song by Simon and garfunkel. The lyrics and tone I believe heavily portray offred’s relationship with moira throughout the book. Lyrics such as “when times are rough and friends just can’t be found like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down.” Moira has been a lifeline for offers during the most challenging times of her life.

Song #2 Time in a bottle -jim croce

Another song that reminds me of Offred’s memory of her family, more specifically when she was allowed to see a photo of her child, is Jim Croce’s Time in a bottle. The song is about time, or the lack thereof, that we have to spend with those we love. Offed often thinks about this, her child was so very young when she was taken away. The excerpt from the song “ If i could save time in a bottle the first thing i’d like to do is to save every day til eternity passes away just to spend them with you.” This almost word for word represents offred’s feeling about the time that she has lost in gilead.

Song #3 The chelsea hotel -Leonard cohen

The commander’s relationship with Offred is complicated to say the least, We are unsure of anyone’s true feelings, but I believe that the song The Chelsea Hotel by leonard cohen is a near perfect summary of The commander’s attitude towards Offred. The lyrics “I don’t mean to suggest that I love you the best, I can’t keep track of each fallen robin. I remember you well at the Chelsea hotel. That’s all I don’t even think of you that often. “ This quote is almost exact as to how the commander feels about the offer. The line “i cant keep track of each fallen robin” refers to how many other handmaids the commander has done this with before.

Song #4 Where or when -peggy lee

Originally composed in 1937 by Richard Rogers for the play “Babes in arms” It is undoubtedly a love story. I believe the song takes on a slightly different meaning in the handmaid’s tale. The Lyric “it seems we stood and talked like this before, the smile you were smiling then, but I can’t remember where, or when.” originally this lyric was most definitely about two people who feel as though they have met before. If we look at this in the context of the handmaid’s tale it’s as if Offred is trying to remember her time with Luke but her memories are slowly slipping away. She can remember some things most things she can’t seem to remember where or when.

Song#5 The partisan- Leonard cohen

The partisan, or La complainte du partisan is a song with a very rich history, one that is very reminiscent of the handmaid’s tale. Originally La complainte du partisan was a song dating back to the French resistance during their occupation by the Nazis. The reason I have chosen Leonard Cohen’s cover of the song is for two simple reasons. It is mostly in english, and it is slightly less specific towards the french resistance. With lyrics like “I have changed my name so often, I lost my wife and children, but I have many friends.” We can see the clear connections to the handmaid’s tale, as Offred has had her name changed, she also lost her husband and child. Those around her can be seen as her new friends, that arent really her friends, just people in the same terrible boat as her.