1984 Podcast 1

Not Your Big Brother’s Podcast. Co-Hosts: Elliot, Matalai, Nicco, Sophia, and Amadou Episode: First Impressions: “Oceania Sucks”

In this first episode of Not Your Big Brother’s Podcast, we begin discussing George Orwell’s classic novel, 1984. Our discussion is focused on the Party and Big Brother, and the ways that they control the citizens of Oceania. As well as the protagonist, Winston Smith.

List of Evidence: Thought Police, (3) The Ministries, (4) Big Brother, (16) Party Slogan: “War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength” (27) Reality Control : “ ‘Who controls the past’, ran the party slogan, ‘controls the future : Who controls the present controls the past’. “ (35-6) Winston’s Job in the Ministry of Truth: ”Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. In that way every prediction made by the party could be shown by documentary evidence to have been correct;” (41) Newspeak, (53-4) Paperweight from Mr. Charrington : “What appealed to him about it was not so much its beauty as the air it seemed to possess of belonging to an age quite different from the present one.” (95) “In this game that we’re playing, we can’t win.” (120)

22cb3652-f11a-49c5-ab96-e476aff05cd8_200x200
not your big brothers podcast 1