Portfolio #4 (The Odyssey Compare/Contrast Essay)

Introduction: This is my paper about Odysseus vs. Evertt, 2 characters that have a lot in common. When I wrote this I think it was kind of challenging to find the difference between the 2 except for their appearance. Read more to fins out why I choose Odysseus vs. Evertt instead of anyone else.

Odysseus Vs. Everett

Odysseus and Everett are both brave warriors who can do many things because they are not afraid to and also love to hang with the crew. There are many ways to explain and compare the two and how are they the same. Even though Odysseus from The Odyssey and Everett from O Brother Were Art Thou may have differences, they can also be compared by their similarities and the way one and the other looks and their personality.

Odysseus is strong in the brain but weak in the body. He lets his soldiers and others do his work for him, but take all the credit. Odysseus can go to war and all he would do is manage to just sit and let his men fight. Then when Odysseus comes back from battle, he can look all bloody for some reason, then all credit goes to him, even if all he did was just sit down.  But other than that, Odysseus still loves his crew but he is just too cocky and wants to be noticed. Odysseus does his tasks by himself sometimes, and he has his crew in the back to back him up just in case anything horrible happens. Since Odysseus was a Greek Demi god, Odysseus looks different from the way people look today and in this modern world, in his time he did not have the kind of weapons and armor that people have today. So in his time Odysseus has disadvantages against enemies, unlike Everett.

Everett, is in love with his hair and that is his best feature, according to him. Everett was a brave person to escape from the chain gang that he was in. But also the other two people that left with him are also very brave. Everett went through a lot after that. But he keeps going until he got back home. Everett is a strong person but what he did in the movie changed the way he looked. Near the end Everett became a jerk because he had lied to his escape buddy’s that he left the chain gang for a treasure that he is trying the find but the truth is that he only escaped to go find his wife and stop her from marrying another guy. Everett only weapon he uses in battles are his arms because when he escape he had to go look for weapons like guns but wasn’t able to get any.  He had a long journey with his crew that he loved a lot. But then one of them got left behind because the crew lost him so there was only 2 of them left. This time when Everett fought the Cyclops, which was big Dan in the movie, he lost and got beat badly and big Dan managed to get away and take all Everett and his partner’s belongings.

Odysseus and Everett are a lot alike in some ways. One way they are alike is that they are brave. When they do stuff they never show their weak side. When they battle they never show there weak side. They both love there crew even if it looks like they don’t they really do. Odysseus and Everett would do anything for the crew.

They would protect the crew from no matter what. Like in the odyssey Odysseus told all of his crew to block there ears and put ear wax in there ears so they can get pass the sirens but Odysseus didn’t he wanted to see how it feels t hear the siren. In O Brother Art Thou Everett and his crew had a conflict because they found out that Everett had lied to them. So, they started ageing and all that stuff then his crew wanted to leave Everett. But Everett said wait, he apologize and everything to the crew because he cant lose them and he needs there help a lot, if it wasn’t for his crew Everett would of ever got his wife back and be called the soggy bottom boys.

To sum it up, now you see the difference and similarities of Odysseus in the odyssey and Everett in O Brother Art Thou. They both went threw a tough battle in there ways but succeed only because the help of there crew and friends.