Print/Matt -- Derek Jordan

File_000 (18)
File_000 (18)

My element is named sulfur and the atomic number is 16. It is a nonmetal and the atomic symbol is S. Sulfur is in the bible with the name brimstone and it is mentioned in the Odyssey. It was discovered in 1777 by Antoine Lavoisier. He discovered that it was an element and not a compound. Sulfur takes up 3% of the earth’s mass, so I included an earth and with a “3%” on it. I did this because I thought it was the best way to represent that sulfur is 3% of the earth’s mass. I first brainstormed ideas for my print, and chose a final idea. Once we had our final design on paper, we traced it onto tracing paper. After that, we carved our design onto a plate. We then rolled paint onto the plates and then pasted them on a piece of paper. After one week, the paint dried and we cut out the pictures and pasted them onto a paper with a one inch frame. I would have made my design a little less complicated if I were to do it again. It is difficult to completely understand the idea of my print/matt at first glance. I enjoyed making the design for our print. It was fun researching our element and brainstorming possible ideas for our print.