Printmaking/ Importance of Printmaking

What is printmaking? 
Printmaking is the form and process of applying a work of art to another surface. Printmaking can be done on paper, but can also be done on fabric, plastic or other materials. In printmaking, more than one version of it's original is made. Printmaking is important because of its unique techniques. There are different types of printmaking such as: intaglio, lithography, serigraphy, and mono-printing. Printmaking was revolutionary because it had great affect  on various artist. It was another way to be creative. The roots of printmaking ran far back and since then has collectively grown with more types of printing. This type of art had also made it possible to capture moments of history from centuries ago. Chinese were the first to use this process of relief painting. This type of artwork can even be found in the caves of Sumerian civilizations.

PrintmakingWoman
PrintmakingWoman

I found this piece of art very interesting. I noticed the facial expression that the artist caught in the woman’s face. Her expression is almost as if she is looking down on someone or perhaps in a bold photoshoot. I wonder what the woman was thinking when they decided to draw the woman’s face. The values of colors helped me see the side of the face that the light was captured on. My interpretation of this picture is a strong minded, and independent woman.