Printmaking Blog Post

My element is Hydrogen. Its atomic number is 1, its atomic symbol is H, and its atomic weight is 1.00794u. Hydrogen is the most abundant chemical substance in the universe. It is a gas and is the fuel for stars that are in a plasma state. Hydrogen is one of the elements that make up carbohydrates, and it is also an important component in water.

I got the idea of making a star for my print design while I was researching my element. Hydrogen is the fuel for stars, so I thought it would be fitting for a star to be my design. I had to incorporate the atomic number and symbol, so I decided that I would put the atomic symbol, H, inside the star. I drew the H in one-point perspective and I drew the atomic number, 1, under the star.

The process of making this print took me a while. I first had the idea of making drops of water on my print due to Hydrogen’s role in making up water. I then decided to go with a star design instead. When drawing the print onto the styrofoam stencil, I initially drew my design on regularly which was a mistake. I then turned over the stencil and redrew my design backwards, so that it would show up regularly on the print.

If I were to do this project again, I would probably try and create a more complicated design in order to challenge myself. My favorite part of the printmaking process was using the rollers to cover my styrofoam stencil in paint so that I could press it onto my paper to make the print. I enjoyed this because it was a simple process, yet it ended up making beautiful pieces of art. It was very cool to see. Hopefully I will be given the opportunity to do this again sometime in the future.

IMG-1811
IMG-1811