Psycho Movie Poster

Screenshot 2022-04-16 8.49.45 PM
Screenshot 2022-04-16 8.49.45 PM

For my version of the poster, I wanted to go for a less abstract structured setup unlike the original. Whereas the original poster has a collage look I wanted to put emphasis on the thriller/horror aspects of the movie while simultaneously making the viewer question the meaning behind it. Who is this figure being cast on the characters, what led to this point, how will this fall into place with the plot of the movie? My thought process behind the poster was that once you watch it in its entirety the viewer will be able to quickly put together the meaning behind this scene. At that point, they will know that the two people represent the main characters Norman and Marion all that would be left would be to determine who the shadow figure was, and that comes with the viewer more closely analyzing the film. The main point I wanted to bring to the table was how in separate ways both characters are victims of the same entity which I think is a really interesting point that could be overlooked. While there is no doubt Marion is the main victim in Psycho putting more emphasis on the antagonist, in this case, Norman, could make viewers see him in a different light. He is slowly if not fully losing control of his own body to this persona of his dead mother he created. Norman is a victim of his own mind and depicting him in the same position as Marion helps to show this.

Instead of being called Psycho, I would title the film, Mother. In the past when I had previously heard of Psycho I went into it with a different mindset because of the title. With how extreme current-day movies are in the horror/thriller genre I was expecting more drama and death, granted at the time it was most likely pushing limits. While the title isn’t false in relation to Norman I think that it would be more appropriate to have a more open title to slowly guide the viewer into what the movie really is about. With a title like Mother, it establishes that it is a significant role in the movie, and it’s your job to figure out why.