Q1 Art Portfolio - Clear Object Drawing

Wondering what you’re looking at? Well, this is a still art of a mug that was from my school’s “Starry Night” Prom. When drawing still art you need only three things: charcoal, paper, and a BIG eraser. I started off with a mid tone, which is the back shading of my drawing. Then I started off with the outline of the cup and then realized that there was a lighting coming in from the back window so I added the reflection. Lastly, I added the details of the cup and erased anywhere I saw the light coming in.

My inspiration was to have it look like my aunt’s still art drawing of clay pots she keeps in the basement. I always told my self I would become a good enough artist to draw things like that and here that day is. My teacher Ms. Hull showed us a video about a guy drawing a bowl and then told us to pick something and draw it out.

My favorite tool to use was the eraser even though it would smudge some times when too much of the charcoal got onto the eraser. But when I was using the eraser, you could automatically see the change in dimension when you erase and shade a lighter shade to make the picture look more real.

The best thing I did was showing the thickness of the mug in my drawing. The thing I would like to fix is my mid tone because it’s a little off and one side is darker than the other side.

In all, I think that I did a pretty good job in the two and a half classes I spent on this project. I love getting down and dirty when I am drawing everything or anything.

2011-11-02_10.49.45
2011-11-02_10.49.45