Q2 art

For this quarter I wanted to try something new. I decided to make my very own fashion design. I did not sketch it on paper, but made a keynote where I would record my bust size, waist size, etc.

Bust: 33"
Waist: 29"

I would be making a shirt, I took a course over the summer at Moore College or Art and they taught me how to make my own clothes. My first step was to the go to fabric store and pick out the type of fabric that I would like to use. I chose to make the shirt a slingy fall off the shoulder type because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do the measurements correctly since it was my first item of clothing that I would be trying to do all by myself, without anyone telling me what was right and what was wrong. That was the funnest thing about completing this item of clothing (although it's way too small for me) was that I was doing it all on my own. Anyway, I went to the fabric store and bought a plain black cotton fabric (which I have never worked with because it's pretty flimsy.
I came home and got to cutting. First, I traced the outline of how big around I wanted the shirt to be (I wanted it a little bit loose so I cut the shirt out 37 inches around and 7 inches down). Next, I made sure to trace where the sleeves would be. 
Next, I cut the entire thing out.
Next, I went to the ironing board and folded one inch over the edge of the shirt, this is to make sure that the shirt looks clean, neat and even, meaning if I didn't cut accurately enough it would just fold over and look nice. I did this to every edge of the shirt and ironed it over to a fold. Once they were all folded over, I went to the sewing machine and sewed the places that I had just folded, (using black string). I could have done a design with the sew, but I decided to just do a straight line to be safe.
After this was done, I went to the iron once again and overlapped the two pieces (so that it looked like an entire wrap around shirt) I overlapped them and then folded them over, making sure it was on the side of the shirt so that it couldn't be seen when I wore it. I sewed the short together and put it on. 
It kind of sucks, but it is still cool because it's my first ever alone piece! 

SHIRT
SHIRT