Q2 Food Benchmark

Caprese Salad

Ingredients:

*Quantity of ingredients varies upon how much you’re making

Mozzarella Cheese (Whole, not shredded)

Tomatoes

Basil leaves

Balsamic Vinegar

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Salt, Pepper

Preparation:

1. Slice mozzarella cheese into ¼ inch thick slices

2. Do step 1 to tomatoes

3. Place 1 slice of cheese on each tomato slice  

4. Add 1 basil leaf to each tomato / cheese combo

5. Drizzle olive oil & balsamic vinegar on top of each combo

6. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and / or pepper on each combo

Analysis:

When made with all fresh, organic ingredients, this dish contains little processed food items. The ingredients that are processed are still healthy, For example, cheese is the main processed ingredient, but it has to be processed in order to kill bad bacteria. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is technically processed because it’s been pressed in a factory, but there’s no additives or chemicals in it. Most salt has iodine added to it which causes it to be labeled as processed, but iodine is an essential dietary mineral that we would get very sick without.

Although this is a healthy dish, if you were to eat nothing it each day you would get very sick. Firstly, you would be lacking many essential food groups such as fruits, meats, and bread. Also, the intake of salt each day could add up and possibly lead to diabetes, but the monounsaturated fats in olive oil are known to prevent the risk of type 2 diabetes.

For this particular dish, I used Cento balsamic vinegar, Sunset tomatoes, Belgioioso mozzarella cheese, Carbonell olive oil and Olive Creek basil. I purchased all of these ingredients at my local Shoprite. The vinegar came from Italy, the tomatoes came from Mexico, the cheese came from Wisconsin, the olive oil came from spain, and the basil came from New Jersey. These ingredients are healthy, but since they have traveled so far, it means that they’re aren’t environmentally friendly. The vinegar, olive oil, and tomatoes all come from different countries, which means they’ve traveled the farthest. My dad was the one that went food shopping, but if I had gone then I would have chosen organic, local ingredients. From what I’ve learned this year, organic food isn’t necessarily better than conventionally grown food. They both contain nearly the same amount of nutrients, but organically grown food is better for the environment.

Overall, this dish made approximately 12 servings (2 cheese / mozzarella combos) and came to around $12. This is affordable, healthy, and filling as a side dish or snack. Fast food is cheap but will cause health problems and leave you feeling sluggish. If you were to eat this dish as a snack, it would be satisfying and refreshing.

My family grows herbs and tomatoes in our backyard in the summer, so my dad and I would use them when making this dish almost everyday. Basil pretty much grows on it’s own once it’s planted, needing only to be watered and trimmed, and the same goes with tomatoes. When these items are purchased, they have to be grown (where you don’t know the exact growing process that took place) shipped to the grocery store, and then brought home.

Reflection

I’ve learned a lot during this quarter about how I’m part of the food system and how the system itself works. I had an idea of the subjects that we reviewed such as diabetes, organic food, and how school lunches have little to no nutritional value to begin with,  but I’m glad that I have a deeper understanding of them now. I was highly worried that I was harming myself by not eating only organic food, but I now know that organic food and conventionally grown food contain nearly the same nutrients. I am still concerned about the preservatives and additives that go into most foods, but I consider myself a wise shopper when it comes to what I purchase and eat so I’m confident that I’ll be okay. The obesity rate in America truly makes me sad. Junk food is cheap and fast so many people resort to eating that, but it is killing people. Junk food isn’t satisfying so you’re more likely to eat more. Sitting down and eating a healthy meal will fill you for much longer than a hamburger from a fast food restaurant. The TED talk we watched made me realize how important it is to learn how to cook, so I’ve been cooking dinners with my dad in order to learn how to make meals for myself. I’ve been focusing on eating healthy and watching my portions when eating, along with eating more fruits and drinking more water. If I choose to have a family in the future, I’m going to be very strict with my children on what they can and can’t eat. I’m going to cook them proper meals, teach them how to be smart shoppers, and teach them to cook also. I’m thankful that I had this class and I feel as though every student should have a class on food and how the system works.