Q3 Artist Statement

When I first heard that we had assigned assignments for art I was a bit sad. I enjoyed figuring out what I wanted to do for the quarter because it always had meaning to me or my life. However, when I started these assignments, I found them pretty challenging. Partly because I feel as though I'm not that good of an artist but also because I was a bit intimidated by the people in my class who were doing the same artwork but with better skill.

Even still, I tried my best and completed the tasks at hand. The first one we started off with was the hand drawings. I don't know why but I really liked the outcome of my hands. I found them not really easy but enjoyable to do. The hardest part about them though was making sure the dimensions of the gaps between my fingers were right and also the length of my fingers as well.

Then we did our self portraits and I must say that I have mixed feelings about this one. I mean, I guess you could say that I like the outcome of my drawing but I just feel as though I look old. I found it really fun to do but it was really hard to hold a mirror and look at myself, and draw what I saw at the same time. Also, I ultimately hate drawing lips. I can't draw them at all so I was upset with that. 

The next thing we were supposed to do was draw a full life figure and I was that figure. My sister is in the Navy and they have to learn how to stand for long periods of time so she taught me the secret behind it...Secret haha...but I was happy that I could help people draw without moving...it didn't really hurt for standing that long or anything. I didn't even feel self conscience...it was just blank. 

Then we did a drawing of a still life drawing which was a landscape made up of a sheet, stands, vases, fruit, bottles, and even skulls. I found this drawing to be the hardest yet I don't really know why. Maybe because I had to draw it from the perspective of someone sitting in front of it rather than looking over top of it. This was weird to me because the lines of the table that the items were on weren't straight...they were curved and it was just alot to it. The hardest thing to draw would be between the sheet and the skull. since the skull had such a distinct shape to it, I didn't know how to make it look as though there was a "back" to it. The sheet was hard because it just had so many creases and curves in it. I don't know, I don't really like how mine came out, but I guess it's alright.  

Then after that we did drawings of things that were transparent like glasses, or a bottle, or a picture frame. I did a bottle which I thought was pretty easy to do. The shading was the tricky part because I didn't really know how to go about putting the detail into the specific areas. I also didn't like how my bottle came out a  bit crooked. 

I love charcoal drawings though because I feel as though it's bold and free. You can do anything with it and with a mark and a smudge, you can make things come to life.