Q3 Benchmark Drawings

102_0040
102_0040
102_0042
102_0042
102_0041
102_0041
102_0057
102_0057
102_0048
102_0048
102_0035
102_0035
102_0031
102_0031
Bottom bottle
Bottom bottle
102_0059
102_0059
Our first drawing of our portfolios was hand drawings. It was interesting enough to start us off by training our eyes to see what was there and not 'what we thought' was there. It was difficult at first to not make up things as I drew them because that's what I thought it was suppose to look like. The self portraits and clear glass drawing were the most difficult ones. The hands I thought were a great start because it seemed to me as the simplest drawing of them all and totally jumped start the things that came after.

It was just a bit frustrating for all of the drawings to get things to look like they did realistically. To transfer what I saw, through my hand, and onto the paper. Getting the shading down for the self portraits and see through glass was not particularly easy either because the lighting was always different each time I got back to my drawings. I think the drawing I spent the most time with is my self portraits because it was had to make it look real and like me. It was challenging to the right amount of shading, to shade and erase. It was also frustrating to hold the mirror and draw, it was not something I was use to.

The last assignment (to chose a genre and create works of art that are inspired by that era or that are copies of those chosen pieces) for this 3rd quarter was a bit difficult for me to finish because I didn't manage my time correctly thus why I didn't finish it. I put a lot of time into it, it was the most interesting learning experience because I didn't get directions from Ms. Hull but I just mimicked the pieces I found. I chose to do modern art because it's appealing to me how they mix such colors and shapes so beautifully. But I think thats why it took me so long because I kept mixing paint to try to get the right colors. I not only learned how to mimic their art but also learned how to somewhat mix paint.

The quarter was the most exciting because there were guidelines but we had a lot of freedom. It was like we had a destination but the adventure or journey there was totally in our hands and we could do whatever we wanted. The still life was my favorite because I was able to experiment with different colors instead of black charcoal. I was able to mix and shade on a different level. It was also interesting using white with the other colors. This quarter challenged me and definitely brought something out of me that I didn't think I had.