Q3 Geo Benchmark Reflection

1)  This relates to the real world, and can be practically used.  If you need to know the height of something, and don’t have the ability to (or are too lazy to go and get the proper tools) these methods are quite useful.  All one needs to use these methods are are a mirror/stick and a tape measure, instead of some complicated surveying tool.
    Also, these methods are just some of the ways similar triangles can be used.  Variations of these methods can be used to determine distance, or angles.  It is simply making a smaller version of what you are measuring, and then multiplying it based on a proportion.

2)  The most exciting part of the surveying project to me was the surveying itself.  I enjoyed the calculating and the recording and the measuring.  It was also my least favorite part.  When we were measuring, we constantly had to watch out for cars.  We had to abandon our attempt more than once because the mirror we were using was in the street (we quickly found the obvious answer to that problem).  It was also creepy, because we were just standing there looking at people’s houses, and did not want to look suspicious.

3)  From completing this project, I learned much.  I had previously thought that similar triangles were basically useless, just something we had to learn in math class.  This project proved me wrong.  There are, in fact, quite a lot of uses for them.  I also learned that mirrors do have uses outside of making sure you look good.  They are used in the mirror method, which is what i used to measure the buildings.  This method is very imprecise, but does give you a general idea of the height of what you are measuring.