Q4 Art Portfolio

This quarter in art is different from the previous 3 because we had the opportunity to choose our our projects, instead of having a set project biweekly. We had to do 4 different projects so I did a 3D origami piece, a series of modular origami, a water color painting, and an abstract drawing. All of these projects have 1 thing in common, my childhood. I used to do these things all the time when I was younger, but stopped when I got older. It felt nice to be able to connect with my old habits. 
My first project is a 3D origami piece that involves folding paper into hundreds of triangular pieces and then inserting them together in a certain patter to create a shape, in my case, I created a swan. There were about 150 small pieces that are fairly simple to make, but very time consuming. Putting the final thing together took a lot of concentration because there is a specific way to place the pieces and I messed up many times and had to start over.
My second project was modular origami, which is similar to the 3D one, but the folding is a lot more complicated, intricate and time consuming. Also combining the pieces is more challenging because it's not as easy as sliding paper on top of each other. For this project I made 5 different pieces: a square box that unfolds into a rose, a colorful spinning top, a star-like piece, an intricate cube, and a flower.
My third project was a water color painting of a scenery, which was both fun and a little challenging because there were so many colors and I had to make sure that things blended in well with each other. I had a lot of fun playing with contrast, color, and shades. 
My last project was an abstract drawing that has a lot of patterns and designs. It's based off of my old doodling habits from when I was younger. I used to fill pages with random drawings and I loved how the lead from the pencil gave the drawing a shine. I was always obsessed with things that were symmetrical and I originally wanted to create a mandala, but this felt more familiar.

Overall, I felt like I did really well this quarter and I'm proud of all my artwork. I love how all of them turned out and I was also able to explore various types of art that I probably wouldn't have if there was a set work we had to do.