QUARTER 2: 2D PICTURE

The ocean:

I chose to draw the ocean because I like the way the blues would go from lights to darks and darks to lights. It looked like a fun challenge that I was really excited to do.

Throughout this project I used pastels, because I figured that it would be easier to blend the colors and create nice fades. But as you can see for the top layer of the ocean I chose to do a dark blue that would separate the surface of the water from the bottom of the ocean. To separate both of the blues I added white to the top layer to make it look like the reflection from the sun, and the bottom I just did a plane, simple light blue, which I blended with a little bit of green. As I was going along doing this project instead of just doing a stroke and rubbing all the colors together, I pretty much treated the pastel as a marker and began filling in any white spots as much as I could. And for the bottom of the paper and for the white I used a technique called cross checks I believe its called which would make the picture look a little uneven so it would look more realistic.

From my current work I believe my progress has grown. I believe I have learned a lot more about fading objects, and blending colors together. The most challenging part about this project was making the ocean look real. I really wanted the ocean to pop out of the picture, which was a very difficult thing to do.

IMG_20120125_103648
IMG_20120125_103648