Quarter 2 Art Project: Lotus Flower in the sunset

My art comes from inspiration. My inspiration for painting the lotus flower came from the lack of me not knowing how to draw a flower and the lack of me never seeing a lotus flower in person. I started with just a one-on-one drawing session with Ms. Hull, where she showed me how to illustrate the basic design of a flower and how it should be drawn. Once I got the basic "how to draw a flower" down pack, I decided to sketch more and more and practice each class how I want my drawing to be. My favorite thing about my work is knowing that I tried something I've never done before and it came out as a masterpiece. I knew my work was going well once my sketch was not only  what I pictured it but even better.

The decision in how to correctly illustrate my final project is what hindered me the most in this project. I knew I wanted to paint because I've yet to paint a canvas for my final art project yet. Once I knew I wanted to paint, I bought 2 canvases (1 extra in case I mess up). After I purchased the canvas, I came to Ms Hull in excitement ready to learn the fundamentals of painting and export a dazzling final project. Ms Hull taught me various techniques on how to paint including shadowing and manipulating dark and light colors.

The final product consisted of a lotus flower in the water with floating lilly pads around them and a sunset that consisted of the many colors that catch my mind when I look at a sunset. The hardest part of the project was making a sunset. Since I already pictured in my head what I wanted the sunset to look like, there was no way that it could turn out another way. With the correct usage of water and paint, to give it a soft look, the sunset turned out to be as wonderful as I depicted in my head.

I knew my canvas was finished once I put the finishing touches of the lotus flower. The usage of the dark and light colors and the hard, dark stroke around the stems of the lotus flower, really put a finishing touch to the project. I also knew my canvas was done when I looked at the canvas and said "This is what I pictured in my mind."

*I would like to give a special thanks to Ms. Hull this quarter because she truly helped me through developing the final product that I pictured. Her patience was truly a blessing to my art piece.*

Here is the Paper sketch of the flower

Paper Sketch
Here is the canvas sketch of the lotus flower

Canvas sketch

Here is the final product