Quarter 3 Geometry Benchmark reflection/ Simmons

Geometry Q3 Benchmark

Reflection

Course Blog Post Directions:

1. Obtain a real picture of the building you are assigned (you can include surrounding buildings if necessary).
  2. Download this picture to your computer and save it to your desktop.
  3. Take a picture of your building on your final drawing and send it yourself/download it on your desktop (you can include surrounding buildings if necessary).
  4. Open up the application called Pages. Choose a blank document.
  5. Drag your street picture and your final drawing onto this document.
  6. Place them side-by-side.
  7. Screen shot this picture. (To screen shot a photo you have to hold command, shift, and the number 4 down and a new cursor will appear. Drag the area of the picture you want to capture. The picture should now appear on your desktop.)
  8. Finally, go to the Geometry course on Slate and upload the side-by-side image to your new post. 

New post should include:

o   Blue print and street pictures

o   Reflection

Reflection Questions:

•   How does this project relate to the real world?

As stated in the original project description, many architects and construction workers use the methods we’ve used in this unit to measure the heights of buildings and other large constructions. It also relates to the real world because we used actual buildings in Philadelphia. We didn’t get them from some sort of online activity, we actually went outside and looked at real places that people have built (which is very cool). We used methods that required physical movement and not just sitting in a chair, and applied real-word situations to our techniques. These are some ways it relates to the real world. 

•       What was the most exciting portion of this project and why? What was the least exciting portion to this project and why?

I would say the most exciting part of the project was being able to go outside. It was a little fun walking somewhere, taking measurements of real buildings and recording them down in a notebook like some sort of mathematician. It was fun working with my group members to get the measurements; it kind of felt like a game. A fun, educational game. I also really liked being able to write a proposal about the changes we all wanted to make to our buildings. That was fun. I can’t think of any part of the project that I particularly disliked. 

-       What did you learn from completing this project?

I learned how to properly apply the methods we learned about to real-world situations, as mentioned briefly before. I also learned a little more about the street of 208 North 21st street, which was the block our group was assigned to. I learned more about how to manage time when you can’t just hop right on your computer and do everything at once. We had to factor in finding time to actually go outside when needed and get some measurements. I can’t remember ever having a math project like that here. Those are a few of the thing’s I’ve learned. 

Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 11.34.45 AM
Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 11.34.45 AM