Quarter 4 Artist Statement Naima DeBrest

I have really enjoyed having the opportunity to be in advanced art this year. Throughout the quarters we have worked on various piece to showcase our talents. This quarter I really liked the fact that we focused on techniques that made up our art pieces. We worked on building textures and learning how to draw the basics of a figure. 

The first piece that we did was supposed to be a figure drawing of a person if our choice. One main component of this assignment was that we drafted sketches of our figure. The final person that I decided to draw was Rihanna. I picked one of my favorite picture if her which was when she went to the 2015 Met Gala.

The next assignment that we did was a was a line drawing. We were instructed to find ways in which could make art out if one or multiple lines. We looked at many types of renditions of this kind if art. I found that I liked the ones that were made of other abstract art with lines inside of it. 

The next assignment that I did was a digital drawing. For this Ms. Hull gave us a very helpful tool to make these drawings on out computer. I used the various shapes that the tool had in order to illustrate the vision that I had in my head.

Th next one was an illusion of space drawing. For this I looked for optical illusions that I could base my art off of. I found one concept that I liked which included what looked like a 3-D piece of paper. I was able to achieve this affect by actually making my own loose leaf paper on top of white paper. 

The next on was a texture drawing. To prove that we practiced we had to display about 20 different coloring and sketching techniques. The final project was to involve them in a final fruit still life photo. I really like how this one turned out. 

The next tool we were to use was the theory of value. We had to show depth and contrast in a picture. I decided to draw an apple. I thought that it’s different angles would make it easy to show the variation in light and texture. 

The final piece we worked on was a element of art drawing. In this we had to display all the techniques we had learned and put them into one great piece. I made a picture of my name and I spiced up the background with concept and tool if art that I had learned.