Recipe And Analysis

Chicken Marsala:

• ½ cup all-purpose flour

• 1 tablespoon Essence, (fresh Creole seasoning)

• 2 (6 to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in halves and pounded thin

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 4 tablespoons butter

• 3 cups sliced mushrooms

• ¾ cup Marsala

• 1 cup chicken stock

• Salt and freshly ground pepper

• Chopped chives, for garnish

Directions:

• Combine flour and Essence in shallow bowl; stir thoroughly.

• Quickly dip chicken breast in seasoned flour mixture; shake to remove extra seasoning.

• Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until very hot but not smoking.

• Add 1 tablespoon of butter and cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side)

• Move chicken breast to plate and add 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter to the pan and add mushrooms.

• Cook and stir frequently until mushrooms are golden brown around the edges.

• Add Marsala wine and bring to boil.

• When the wine is reduced by almost half, add chicken stock and cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.

• Lower the heat to medium and put chicken breasts back to pan and continue to cook until they have cooked through and sauce has thickened.

• Add and stir remaining tablespoons of butter; add salt and pepper.

• Garnish with chopped chives and serve right after.

Lenses:

• Processed vs. Whole Food

• Health/Nutrition

• Political

• Approximately 70% of the ingredients in this dish are processed. Although they may not be heavily processed, they are not whole foods. Many of these ingredients can be bought organically though. The only ingredients that are not processed are chives, mushrooms, and the chicken breasts. You also have to be careful what type of chicken breasts you buy because there could be some chicken breasts being sold by some companies that are the slightest bit processed. If this meal was eaten every day, your body could build acid reflux from the wine and butter. Your cholesterol could also rise because of the butter being eaten every single day. Although it is a meal on the healthy side, there are certain ingredients that cannot be consumed on a daily basis. On average, the price for Chicken Marsala is roughly $25 with all ingredients included. But you have to keep in mind that this dish can feed up to 6 people or more. Compared to fast food, a meal on average is $7 to $8 per person. If you multiply that by 6 or more people, you would be spending up to $40 to $50. Therefore it is more beneficial to cook Chicken Marsala than buying fast food.