Reconstruction Era Visual Project

ReligionandReconstructionNewspaper (4)
  Artist's Statement

My project is an article that deals with Religion and how it impacted Reconstruction. Something that may be confusing to the reader is the information and Involvement of Abraham Lincoln. I think that this element is important because everyone has the perception that Abraham Lincoln is a saint and that he was one of the main people who fought for abolishment ; but it was actually religious groups that supported him and even were big contributors in the events. I also think that the Religion and Reconstruction section may be harder to fully understand with such a small excerpt. With this section it is so much information that it is hard to summarize in a few words. Since that was such a heavy topic that has a lot of information attached to it, I had to narrow it down and make it less confusing while leaving out some information. I also think that the section that deals with Reconstruction in Alabama will be confusing because it really doesn't tie together with the whole theme, but I wanted the newspaper to be like ones that has some stories that don't connect with the main article and have a little more diversity. I think it is important to talk about the problems that were faced during Reconstruction in Alabama because the newspaper is issued from there and I wanted to have a little section that was dedicated to their home to feel as though their problems are stilled recognized and not unrecognized or overshadowed by the other issues. This matter as a whole is important because when you think of the Reconstruction era, people don't intellectually think about Religion. This newspaper was a good way to show elements of Reconstruction that some people would have never thought about. This also shows how much religion impacts history as a whole, because almost every part of history in some way has had religion impact.  

Source Analysis

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15uVJf8svzidm69cHqyqAn7FeOVgZzRjEOgWzU_sPvMA/edit