Reconstruction of Memory

“When I lose something, I always try to think back to the last time I saw it. When I go back to that place, I usually find what I lost.”

The last time I saw my father…

It was clear from the start that this advice wouldn’t be very helpful. The most recent memory Julia had of her father was years ago - only a few days before he went missing. This memory had returned to her only just last night - the first of her personal memories. Perhaps the others would return to her when something happened in the present to trigger it. There was only one way to find out.

She thought back to the day when she was young… five or six. She had walked into her father’s… study? Yeah, study, he was a scholar. Is a scholar. Why? She had a nightmare, and was in need of his company. Did she go to her mother first? No, she had no memories of her mother. She never knew her. He held her in his arms with a loving embrace for a long time. She remembered snuggling closer to his chest, feeling the soft fabric of his sweater on her cheek, hearing the beat of his heart, and feeling a wave of comfort wash over her.

Julia started to cry. As she stood there in the field, her own father was being held prisoner somewhere on this land. A prisoner of beings that would not hesitate to kill him if it would benefit them in some way. She had no clue where they were keeping him, or if he was still alive. But even if she would never see him again, at least she had something to remember him by.

Julia’s mind came back to the present. She wiped the tears from her eyes, and she and her companions moved on, even more, determined to find the one who could just be her only surviving parent. She had to save him. He had to see him again. And she will risk it all to do so. Even her own life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2kTtW5f56I

Thank you for taking the time to read my piece. This is actually supposed to be a small part of a larger story, so that’s why it doesn’t feel quite complete or why some details aren’t quite as explained. If you are interested in learning more about the story, feel free to come talk to me. For my audio companion, I decide to use the song Hymn for the Missing by Red. Since the main character has a missing person in her life, it was kind of fitting. I can imagine one of them singing the song to the other.

Bea Gerber (Student 2019)
Bea Gerber

Julia, this is a beautiful piece. Your writing is smooth and completely captivating. I feel so moved by this story because of the way it is written. I like how you took elements from Atwood by having the narrator not know all the details. It shows us how distant this memory is and how hard the narrator is trying to cling to it. I also really like how you describe the sweater and that he is missing without dedicating full sentences to them. You add those details as if the reader knows, which pulls us deeper into the story. I also love the use of the quote. It sets up an idea of what the story might be about so that from the start we know to value the happy parts because there will be sad to follow it. Overall, an amazing piece and I would love to read more of the story. There are tons of other compliments I could give that I can't due to time, but you are a great writer and this story is really well done and moving.

Alexandrea Rivera (Student 2019)
Alexandrea Rivera

I think that this was a really good story! It was changing from 3rd person to 1st person which is an easy fix to the story but confuses the reader a little bit on whether its supposed to be a story being told or the narrator is remembering themselves.

I'm wondering why she never knew her mother and what this land the father is trapped on is called whats the history behind it?