Reconstruction of Memory- Angel

I always get this way when I'm lost. I'm so tired of having to relive this moment forever. When I was I think just four years old, I had lived with my parents.  Parents, who am I kidding? They weren't ever really parents to me. There was the one time that my mother tried to make me feel like I was her child by offering me her needle full of what would ultimately kill her in the end. “What a mother,” I always thought. As for my “father” he was never in the “house”.  He was always out selling somewhere, usually on the corner of 3rd and Benson. Or was it 6th and Benson? I don't know, all I know is that it was next to the house with the red awning. Eventually, I was placed in the foster care system. I had no place to go and no one to really turn to. Except for Angel. Angel had always been there for me. She helps me through my toughest days but causes me so much pain at the same time. It’s so hard to let her go. The other day, I found myself talking to her. She helped me make everything I was worried about go away.  I was taken to my happy place. Everyone tells me she's bad for me and that I need to get my life together, but I'm lost without her just like I was lost without my “parents". I've finally found someone to rely on. Why would I want to leave that?

It doesn't matter because I’m never going to leave her!

It's time to talk to Angel again.  As I reach into my pocket to get her, I hear someone talking to me.

“Yes?” I say as I lift my head to look up.

“Hey Junkie, you can't stay here! This is public property you need to go somewhere else!” he screams at me from down the street. 

Authors Note:

Throughout the story I used past tense words to show that the narrator was having a flashback within that flashback I described an early childhood moment because that is what shapes human beings. I chose to mention the narrator's feelings toward her parents to show she has never had anyone to rely on and this is how she had developed this relationship to Angel. Angel is not a person but is described as one to hide it from the reader until the end of the story. I decided to have the narrator describe Angel as a person to show the connection between her and Angel (the drug she uses). I chose to write this story this way because I wanted the reader to follow the memory and then when coming to the end of the story realize how the story connects to what the narrator is going through in current time.

Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 12.26.26 PM
Screenshot 2018-12-12 at 12.26.26 PM

Julia Hood (Student 2019)
Julia Hood

Oouuuu! This really surprised me, I wasn't expecting the ending at all. I really liked how you made it unclear what / who "Angel" was until the very end. I also really liked that you made Angel seem like a person. You did a really good job at showing that it was a flashback as well as surprising the reader, which is what it seems like you wanted to do by your author's note.