Reconstruction of Memory// Growing Up- Cynthia To

Our old house was small but it always fit us. Our living room was the main hub that everyone frequented and it was the main room before we entered and left.  As a family of four in a small South Philly row home, we were always together for the good and the bad. The good, playing house under the desk that my big sister rarely studied at. The okay, getting chased up the stairs and down the hallway when I broke one of my sister’s paper robot collections. And the bad, which were usually from my sister to my parents - now that I think of it. I remember specifically the first bad time I had in the house and it wasn’t because of me. I was young enough to understand but not old enough to fully understand.

This time, the TV was on but no one was watching. The TV volume was muted but it sounded like there was a fight scene happening. The voices were loud but familiar. Looking up, I saw my sister arms bent at her side and in an angry SuperWoman stance and my parents standing over her. They were fuming. I stood behind them, staring at my sister yelling back at my parents. She was nine and we never did that as kids. We don’t talk back to our parents like we need to enforce nine year old made rules. But I guess Ellen didn’t learn that yet. My parents said “well if you don’t like the rules, you can get out!” What?! Get out? I remember standing there, crying without even noticing at first. This girl is my only sister - how can they just tell her to get out? I felt the tears and the heavy breathing kick in and everything was muffled as the snot filled my nose and ears. I couldn’t make of the last thing they were yelling about but the next thing I knew was Ellen was getting picked up and I dropped our taling toy dragon.

As he hit the ground, he said “I love boisenberries,” but that didn’t stop them! That would have stopped me! My dad put her outside and watched her through the screen, door half cracked to isolate her. I remember crying even harder. They just threw away my sister! My only best friend. What was I going to do? I didn’t have the power to let her back in, right?  I paced around scared and started packing some food, clothes, and shoes. She was barefoot on the door mat! That’s not allowed. After packing, my five year old body pushed the door back to let her in. My parents were shocked. They're faces were focused on what I would do next so I let her in. I was a big girl making big moves for my big sister.

After she stayed outside of the house for a few minutes, I opened the door to let her in. We both started crying and hugging each other. We cherished every moment from there on. That was really a traumatic experience for a little kid to experience even though they were not the one in trouble but got to see. To this day, my parents have never done that again. When I look back, I see that this teaching moment brought us together.

Author's Note: I decided to write about this memory because this was one of the memories that stood out to me because sometimes punishment can help make a better bond. Even though what my parents did for a punishment was harsh, it allowed me to see something good out of it, that people shouldn’t take things as for granted and actually cherished the moment they have with one another. Growing up, I always liked hearing old stories about my family’s past and being able to learn from their struggles and experiences, which is why I had the aunt tell the stories to her niece. In my writing, I was inspired by Margret Atwoods' writing style when she makes Offred questions herself and describes the little details that happen. For the Visual Companion, I chose this video because correlate how Asian family punish their children with tough love.

Vivian Pham (Student 2019)
Vivian Pham
  1. I think you did a good job in taking inspiration from Atwood when it came to how she would construct Offred's narration and experiences and how she would constantly be quietly questioning things and I think you did a good job in conveying that in your story.
  2. I enjoyed your story very much, I loved the ending the most where you would talk more about how this moment made you feel, expanding on this would make this story even better!
Nile Ward (Student 2019)
Nile Ward

There was a lot of sensory writing – specifically visually. It did succeed in emulating Atwood's writing style, since the details were very descriptive.

Olivia Musselman (Student 2019)
Olivia Musselman

I love this! Your introduction caught my attention and transitioned to the memory so cleanly. I felt immersed in the scene! I like how you incorporated Margaret Atwood's techniques because they really enhanced your story. Awesome job!

Eric Valenti (Student 2019)
Eric Valenti

Based off your authors note about Margaret Atwood focusing on the little detail, I think you did a good job of focusing on the little things like your sister's toy. This allowed you to create this little kid tone of voice and improve your story overall.