Recycled Fashion: Revitalizing Fashion (joint project with Brooke Thompson)

Hello, My name is Nailah Adam and I am a junior at SLA. My Quarter 1 Art Project focuses on recycling and style; rebirthing the means of reusable clothing and saving the world. Brooke Thompson and I have taken that idea and made clothes out of recyclable items. Those recyclable items include, trash bags, plastic cups, bottle caps and old clothing we no longer wanted. In my art, I tried to achieve looks of couture recycling that will influence others to want to create recycling art and fashion and not a way of disposing things. 
The tools that I used to achieve the clothing were old American Eagles shorts, a black tank top, an old bra, the recyclable tools listed in the paragraph above, glue gun, scissors and paint. There were sketches drawn to get the pictured look. In the sketches, the drawings resemble "tu-tu" dresses. The dress had a poof bottom that was "poofed out" with the future trash bags. The top of the dress , or the bustier, had bottle caps and plastic cups with a distinct design. 
The "tu-tu" was executed by sewing the trash bags to the shorts and cutting the trash bags to give off a "poofy" look. The bustier had a plastics cups in a design that fitted the shape of the bra. The cups were glued using the hot glue gun and cut to fit the bra. Although, were not able to execute the rest of the dress, we plan to keep going on with our project because it is very inspirational to us and people whom are interested. 
I discovered, when I work with things that are helping to others and still relative in the world, I feel accomplished. Recycling is not only a major issue in the world, but being yourself is also very controversial in the teenager world. Though the clothing would not be suitable for any type of everyday wear, it is suitable when you want to make a statement about who you are as a person and how you've contributed to the betterment of the world.
 Here are some pictures of our work:

Photo 177Photo 178Photo 179Photo 213Photo 214Photo 215Photo 216Photo 217Photo 211
(picture of sketches comming soon)

Recycle Bottle Caps Project
The objective of this project was to make a poster convinving students to bring in bottle caps so we can recycle them for a future art project.