Restriction

Azirah Bowman

English

Restriction

This is why I have restriction on my phone. LISTEN! I snuck to an event with a person I wasn't allowed to go with, and yes I felt bad after I got caught , and yet I still think it  wasn’t worth it. But I did it and I am still getting punished for it. I haven't had social media on my phone for a whole summer and now during school. I think it's going too far. The restriction is a mode on your phone that takes away your app store and you can't get into it unless you know the password. So now I have to redeem myself to get a social media at this point in time. Therefore, I am upset that I have to keep asking for it.

It all started when I was going to the Penn Relays,  I had gotten permission to go. Once I got there,  I saw someone  I was  not allowed to hangout with , but  the next thing I  knew I was hanging out with him.  He even encouraged me into going back the next day . So I got home and,  I tried to convince my mom on letting me go.  When she said yes, I was excited. However, when I walked out of the house I felt ashamed,and discourteous. I also knew the consequences. The consequence would be  to take all  of my apps away.  I would have to wait  about a month and a couple of days, until I would be  allowed to ask my parents for an app on my phone. I'm only allowed to get one app at a time, and if I mess up, they make it two weeks until I can get another app. But,  I have to show that I deserve it or I won't get it . But I wasn't thinking, I think it was that  I didn't care or all the excitement got to me,  that made me forget about the consequences. I kept walking to the event.

Once I got to the relays, I was about to go back home but as soon as I turned to head back , I saw him and I no longer felt guilty, and we had fun that day. I felt as though I got away with going behind my parents back. However, when I got home, , my mom began to ask me questions, such as ¨who did you go with?¨, ¨how did you get back home,¨, and ¨how did you enter the event without a ticket? I was so scared that I just let everything out and told her. When she sent me to my room,  I went to sleep.When she woke me up from my nap, I  felt so sorry for doing this to her. I made her lose  trust in me, and  knew and still know that it's going to take awhile to redeem it. Also, I knew my mom felt heartbroken just because i went behind her back. She was so scared and I was so wrong. Mr.Terrance is my step dad who lives with my mom and takes care of us.  He came in the room and took my advice, he added restriction. As soon as he did that,  I knew it was wrong for me to go behind my parents backs and I know I won't do it again, but the thing is, I still regret it to  this day.

I learned that negativity always comes back to you, no matter what you do, there will always be a time where it comes back. It's like the cycle of life, what goes around comes right back around. So to this day I know, that I need to do what I need to do and fix my mistakes.I am always positive and I know that once I feel guilty of something, I need to turn the other way and do the right thing.

Koule Doucoure (Student 2020)
Koule Doucoure

This kind of things happened to me before but is different mined I was ashamed because couldn't run my mouth. My mom trusts me and my sister a lot of time. As from now, anytime she having a conversation with my sister she wouldn't let me know because of what I did. it took time for her to trust me again but I'm the main one who feels sorry for myself. your story makes me feel emotional.

Briannie Matos (Student 2020)
Briannie Matos

Wow! I understand how you feel because I once got caught doing things I wasn't suppose to and it lead to a lot of consequences. I learned that everything you do has consequences to it. Whether it's good or bad. I'm sure this isn't something you wouldn't want to share but it's nice seeing how open you were to writing to essay.

Charles Langley (Student 2020)
Charles Langley

I learned that everything you do has consequences and those consequences can be good or bad but, in this case, it's bad. I also learned that Azirah can't have social media on her phone. What I liked about her writing style was how she told a good story and added a decent reflection at the end. Also, like how you made the setting clear with the Penn Relays because I ran in the Penn Relays and I know what it was like there. Lastly, I just want to say is I hope your restriction ends :)

Madelyn Malloy (Student 2020)
Madelyn Malloy

A similar situation like this had happened to me before, so I get it. I believe that you will gain their trust back, it will just take time. Your story though was really good, it kept me very interested.

Monie Duong (Student 2020)
Monie Duong

I know how you feel about doing something you're not supposed to do and get caught because it happened to me plenty of times. I think it's good that you've decided to not do it again because it's clear that your mum means a lot to you and that you care about her feelings too. Honestly, I don't know how you're dealing with boredom without instagram or snapchat so good luck to you. I liked how honest you were about the punishment and how you think it's going too far because I agree with you too. I also liked your conclusion because that's definitely something everyone should do to live a happy life.