Revised Descriptive essay by Ryan Shaw

Ryan Shaw September 20, 2011

Copper-English 2 Freedom in School

My high school is very different from my middle school. In my middle school, we had to wear uniforms, navy blue shirts with khaki’s with the school logo on the shirt. You had to go to classes with the rest of our homeroom class, and had little to no freedom. My old school was demanding, filling our thoughts with false freedom, saying how we had a small locker in the room, we could bring in whatever we want, and that we didn’t need a policeman in the building. In reality, my middle school was just an extension of elementary school, and it had just as many freedoms as middle school. Timed classes that you were escorted to by teachers, coinciding lunches, in which you had to sit at the cafeteria, and you couldn't move from your assigned seat.

My high school is far more laid back, and it gives me freedom, where before, there was none. In my old school, I learned much of what I know now, but I didn’t like it. I expected that to be the best there is, since it’s a charter school. One day, at lunch in my old school, I was sitting at my assigned seat, eating lunch peacefully, with the logorrhea of hundreds of other student’s voices in the background. All of a sudden, the cacophony grew exponentially larger, and there was a disturbance in the lunchroom. I looked behind me, and there was a lunch aide, a school official who makes sure that the students follow the rules, yelling at a couple of the students. The tiled floor was shaking from her voice combined with the student’s loud conversations. It’s a large room, but it had great acoustics, and the sounds of everything resonated within the room.
“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! THIS IS THE FIFTH TIME! GO TO MS. D’s OFFICE!” Ms. D was the principal and a former nun, she was a tall, lanky woman with a short brown perm, and large spectacles. Before she could walk into the hallway to her office, she came walking into the lunchroom with a frown on her face, yelling,
“I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON HERE,” the lunchroom was quiet, for the moment, “but you all need to stop talking now!” She lowered her voice, but it still sounded above the current volume. “Now it’s a silent lunch.” A ‘silent lunch’ was something that she had made up a few years ago, this was the first instance of such a phenomenon. “In a silent lunch, no one talks, you just eat your lunch, and go back to class.” Quietly, she said to the lunch aide nearest to her, Ms. Sidney, the head of the lunch aids, “Send anyone who talks to my office” She was careful to say it quietly so that it seemed like it was meant for Ms. Sidney, but loudly enough for the lunchroom to hear her.
It was humiliating, being quieted for the only free time in the day, and yet we were still being silenced by the school’s policies. My old school was filled with dread with simply following the strict rules. My old school was just like a Catholic school, without the church! In my school, everyone looked happy, with the colorful walls, and the multitude of posters scattering the walls, but inside, we all hated it there.
One day, at the lunch room, my friend Brianna wore 4 bracelets at the same time, and the principal told her to take them off. The principal actually told her to take off her bracelets, because she was wearing too many. My school was so strict with their rules that they wouldn’t let my friend wear some bracelets.  
My old school was very strict. The part that really bothered me about my old school isn’t the rules, it’s the fact that in that school, you have to keep your identity hidden. You have to wear a uniform, but not just wear it, you have to be uniform. Everyone has to be a perfect cookie cutter after another; any difference or individuality had to be dealt with immediately. That’s why I like my school so much now. There is no dress code, and everyone is so laid back. It’s calming. Instead of having to keep your guard up, you can relax. While being cliché, it’s true that in this new school, I can be myself.