Revisions

Shanayia Roland

Copper stream

I went in to my hot pink room that looked as if there was a bottle of pepto bizmol thrown the wall. I said to my older sister “What’s the plans for the day?” the room fell silent you could almost hear a pen drop even though we had carpet. Her eyes began to water a little her face began to look puppy dog, and she chuckled and said “we’re moving” with a half smiling half crying face as if she had just saw the funniest thing in the world.  I began to historically laugh, and I said “ha ha Happy New year to you to, Now we both know we're not moving anywhere why would you joke like that.” After living in South Philadelphia for three years we were pretty content and I was pretty sure that moving was out of the question for at least another year or two. Her face fell serious, as serious as if someone and the family had died, she hesitantly said “ I’m not joking now get dressed and help us move dad’s stuff out.” My heart dropped and felt as if it had fallen on the floor and broken. My eyes began to tear or more like waterfall my parent had been together for 19 years and married for two a little break up could possibly turn into a big deal. Also I knew that if they were to separate I would have to choose a parent to stay with so, I because an emotional wreck.

Later on that day after I had gotten dressed I went down stairs into my living room squeezed pass the big black trash bags that my mother packed his stuff in, and I looked at there picture hanging on the wall beside the staircase, taking up the width of three panels, the light brown frame surrounding the black inside of the frame. Their picture perfect smiles shining brightly like joy was in the air. Sunlight beaming through the tree’s that filled the plain behind them. His brown skin looked smooth with his black hair. Her white dress brought out the lighter color in her skin, and the darker color in his. Her skin glowed and made her pearl white dress create the Cinderella and Prince Charming beginning to their marriage.

This picture stuck in my mind from the day we moved him out until the third week, and fifth day after when moved him back in. I guess that picture remained there through it all to show that no matter what they’ll both still be there for each other. Whenever they’re having trouble I think about the picture, or even back to the day that it was taken.

“Wake up girl its your big day” My aunt says to my mom on this bright but rainy day in July. My mother woke up and climbed out of bed with a bonnet on her head, with sleepy eyes, hot morning breath but still a huge smile. Her hair was freshly done, nicely rapped into a bun she had just gone to the hairdressers the night before. She went down the stairs to see all of her flower girls, bridesmaids, maid of honors, and matron of honors waiting to welcome her to the breakfast table with big beautiful smiles. We sat from oldest to youngest at the table starting with the oldest on her side. Her seat at the table was decorated with congratulations ribbons and white rose petals to make her day turn out beautiful.  My aunt opened the window shutters to the big front window to let the little bit of light in form the rainy day. We ate a little bit just enough to hold us over because we were tight with time. Eleven girls needed to be dressed and ready to go within the next couple of hours.

She began to get dressed but with 10 other women running around the house like wild chickens with there heads off, there was no chance of us being on time. She looked out the huge bedroom window that had white shutters covering them to see where the tiny gray Toyota was parked so that she could go get her nails and toes done. Just then she realized that it was nowhere in sight after talking to my dad in a tone of panic she found out that he had taken the car. She slipped on the cream wedding dress that was laced with beads. My aunt went to zip up the back of the dress and there was a ripping noise, and weird feeling in the room that made us know that something happened. My aunts face feel blank and with the zipper in her hand began to apologize like there was a death in the room. From that point on the day was filled with horror around every Conner. This became a nightmare wedding; it had no effect on their marriage or the way that our family looked at them as husband and wife.

It takes rainy days and obstacles in order for people to be come stronger and more prepared. It took my parents a horrible wedding day and many fights and arguments to just except the fact that there will be tests in life to show you how strong you are, and how strong you become. So when there’s a rainy day be happy be because that means some strengths and things to learn from coming with them.  Some times you just have to enjoy life and its ups and downs just to enjoy life. When there’s a rainy day opened the window shutters to let the little bit of light in that you can make out of it. If you don’t have the strength to find the little bit of little then look to the people around you because there is always a group of people who wont judge you no matter what. Enjoy life by enjoying the most enjoyable and not so enjoyable days.