Shakespeare Performance: "Othello" Journals

Journal #1: Iago’s Soliloquy, Deep Analyzations, and Director’s Notes

"I have rubbed this young quat almost to the sense, 

And he grows angry. Now, whether he kill Cassio

Or Cassio him, or each do kill the other,

Every way makes my gain. Live Roderigo,

He calls me to a restitution large

Of gold and jewels that I bobbed from him

As gifts to Desdemona.

It must not be. If Cassio do remain

He hath a daily beauty in his life

That makes me ugly. And besides, the Moor

May unfold me to him—there stand I in much peril.

No, he must die. But so, I hear him coming."------Iago (Act 5, Scene 1)

In the first four lines of this soliloquy (except, "Live Roderigo"), are spoken to the audience because these lines are the hints to the next proceeding plan of Iago. These lines gave the audience background info that they need to know in order to get a clearer understanding of Iago’s plan. These lines are his thoughts about the next step of the plan, it would be unnecessary if he talked to himself about it, because he already knows what is going to happen next. It is common sense that he is talking to the audience as Iago allows the audience experience the tension of the play as his evil plan proceeds to another level. Aside of a small section of this soliloquy to be toward the audience, a large portion of the soliloquy was targeted toward himself, Iago. The thoughts of the character reflects upon the situation he was in. Iago was analyzing Cassio and Rodrigo as the actor puts himself in Iago's shoes. It is in a  psychological state now. This portion of the soliloquy was the most personal thoughts of the Iago himself. The last line, "But so, I hear them coming," is to shift the focus from himself to the audience. This line is also a stage direction and an attention shift for the audience to know that Cassio will soon enter the stage. Aside from the target audiences, the actor needed to face in each portion o the soliloquy, stage directions are also important. For example, 

Every way makes my gain.”

In this portion of the soliloquy,  Iago refers to Othello as a “young quat.” It means that Othello was so easily to be tricked into the plan like a young child. Iago thinks that the plan proceeds well and he could absolutely get what he expected from his plan. When the actor said these lines, he should act fulfilling and have a delighted facial expression. In the quote, "Every way makes my gain,” the actor should show Iago's confidence and cocky attitude by putting more power on the word, “I.” But, the actor should feel cautious after the short delightfulness as he then, put doubts in his own plan.  

"Live Roderigo,

He calls me to a restitution large

As gifts to Desdemona.

It must not be."

This portion of the soliloquy means that Iago wants to kill Roderigo because Roderigo was a witness and his acquaintance. He was worried that Roderigo would told Othello about his evil plan because Roderigo suspects that Iago didn’t gave his jewels to Desdemona. So, in this moment, the actor should feel a bit anxiousness once he said, “Live Roderigo,” and continue with a softer tone that conveys a sense of wariness. The actor should said the line, “It must not be” with a louder voice because it would attract more attention of the audience as Iago proceeds to another character, Cassio.       

"If Cassio do remain

He hath a daily beauty in his life

No, he must die."

The last five lines of this soliloquy means that Iago want Cassio to die because Cassio’s handsomeness and his honesty would make Iago, himself, look bad. Cassio would be an obstacle for Iago because Cassio may have a chance to clear up the misunderstandings between Desdemona and Othello. During this portion of the speech, the actor need to read the lines faster during the second to fourth line. Then, the actor should stop with a short sigh. After, the sigh, the actor should said the last line in a strong voice that expresses his [Iago] confidence and certainty of his plan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Journal #2: Secondary Character (Emilia)’s Views on Cheating Compared to Desdemona, and Strategies to Analyze Minor Characters 

"In troth, I think I should, and undo ’t when I had done. Marry, I would not do such a thing for a joint-ring, nor for measures of lawn, nor for gowns, petticoats, nor caps, nor any petty exhibition. But for the whole world? Why, who would not make her husband a cuckold to make him a monarch? I should venture purgatory for ’t." Emilia-----(Act 4 Scene 4)

In certain circumstances, Emilia believes that cheating is appropriate. She will not do it for objects of value but only for the sake of her husband. It shows that Emilia wants to win back Iago's love, even if she need to sell off her body to other men. In her heart, she doesn't really cares about the shame or the consequences that might put on her husband's reputation. Emilia only cares about her love for Iago, even if it is the wrong path to go or in turn, make Iago and her relationship worse.  As long as she knows that what she did is right for the sake of Iago’s love, she doesn't care. She will blindly follow the path she choses. Emilia believes that cheating is just a weapon to bring up her husband's position, rather than a ugly selfish practice. But, Desdemona had a totally different and innocent viewpoint than Emilia. 

"I have heard it said so. Oh, these men, these men!
Dost thou in conscience think—tell me, Emilia—
That there be women do abuse their husbands
In such gross kind?"-------Desdemona (Act 4, Scene 3) 

Contrast to Emilia's perspective, Desdemona will not cheat on Othello for any particular reason and she was so native to even be surprised to know that some women cheated on their husbands. I think this is the cause of the true love between Desdemona and Othello that made Desdemona have such native thoughts as she is, herself, dwell in Othello's love. Therefore, she doesn't have thoughts of ever cheating on her husband. In Desdemona’s eyes, she sees Othello as a kind husband and she put every husband in the world as to have the same kindness as him. On the other hand, Emilia have thoughts on cheating on Iago because her marriage with Iago was already cold. 

Based on the a character viewpoint on my secondary character’s standpoint on a single idea, I could understand the character's motivations better when I concentrated on the huge contrast between my secondary character to the other characters. Also, the character’s "aside" scenes reveal their true character. I could contrast and compare of what the character thinks and what he or she actually said to other characters in the story, in order to analyze this character in depth. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Journal #3: How does Othello’s past life influence the story?

My role in the play,“Othello,” was Othello. He was a Moorish general and was in charge of the war in Cyprus. In the beginning of scene one, Iago and Roderigo expresses their hatred toward Othello because of his race and his ill decision to let an inexperienced soldier, Cassio to be their commander. Othello’s favorite person was Desdemona because she doesn’t mind Othello’s race and eloped with him. During the years of Othello’s marriage or before, Iago suspects his wife, Emilia has slept with Othello and seeks for revenge. Iago set up an plan to make Othello believe that Desdemona was cheating on him. Othello fell into Iago’s trap as Iago had shown evidence of Cassio and Desdemona’s affair. Othello then, strangled Desdemona. 

Ones’ past life influence a character’s personality and behavior because both Othello and Desdemona are people with a pursuit of love. Though undergoing with hardships during their marriage and their acceptance in their own society, they are still together. If they were to betray each other then the "hurt" will be stronger than couples who have a smoother marriage. So, when Othello was suspicious about Desdemona's betrayal, he is is blinded by only on the love that will end instead of if Desdemona really cheat on him or not. Since, he was a Moor, he have more than enough reasons for why Desdemona would cheated on him. He probably also thinks that the only person who won't mind of his race would actually one day finally felt that his race will made her look bad, be an heartbreaking betrayal than any other. To Othello, Desdemona didn't also betrayed his love but his race as well. Othello believes the fact that Desdemona gave their token of love to Cassio is a great dishonor toward their love. A love that could be easily thrown away or disappear. So, he didn't act a little suspicious as Iago said that Desdemona cheated on him. 

Journal #4: Preparation for Scene Eight Performance 

During my performance in Scene eight of Othello, I had a lot of emotional, mental, and other aspects that I would add between the lines to fully portray my character, Othello. For example, after Othello killed Desdemona and Emilia storms in, Othello said, "That! What?" As Othello, I would sound puzzled and panicked about Desdemona’s cry because Othello was certain about her death before Emilia came into the room. So, I needed to feel panicked with the word “That.” But, I also want to distract Emilia from seeing the dead Desdemona. 

Hand gestures, such as a huge amounts of finger-pointing are essential to this scene. For instance, when Emilia said, "O lady, speak again! Sweet Desdemona! O sweet mistress, speak!" I would point to Desdemona when I said, “She turn'd to folly, and she was a whore,” because I want to addressed the audience that I was describing Desdemona. Since, Emilia was unconvinced about Desdemona’s affair, Othello would said this line with an angry tone. I would stressed out the word, "she", "false" and "water" in the line, “She [Desdemona] was false as water,” in order to make these three words stand out because Othello want to make his point more convincing and urgent to Emilia. 

I will pause between, "Thy husband" and "knew it all." to create a highlighted point or focus that the audience should pay more attention to in the following things that will be happening in this scene. I will walk forward when I say, "Thy husband" to Emilia.

I will speak toward to the audience when I say, "an honest man he is." and look at Desdemona with a disgusted face when I say, "hates that slime that sticks on filthy seeds." Then, I would express a sense of frustration when I say, "He, women, I say thy husband; dost understand the word?” I will place my hand to my chest while saying,"My friend," and  points to Emilia when, I said, "Thy husband" and spread my hands wide in the air, when I say, "honest, honest Iago."

When I say, "Ha!" I rolled my eyes and turn my back towards Emilia. During this scene, I will use a sword as a prop. I point my sword towards Emilia when I said, "Peace, you were best." When Emilia backs toward the sword, I need to act surprised and frustrated. . With all of these preparations, there are certainly things that stand out. For example, the moment when Othello and Emilia will argue while walking around Desdemona. Also, the time when Emilia will act fearless while she is walking toward Othello's sword was a powerful moment for Emilia. Some great components to the scene was the fact that our group have speaks to multiple audiences. For example, "Out and alas, that was my lady's voice." will be toward the herself. The phrase, "Help!Help! Help!" will be toward the the people outside of the room, and the sentence, "speak again Desdemona,....speak." will be the Desdemona. I am noticed that Emilia is fearless while Othello put his sword tip toward her. So, I want to act like I was falling back (walking backward) while Emilia is approaching forward. This represent a sense of power for Emilia and a sense of cowardice toward Othello to point a sword on a women. 

Journal #5: After the Performance 

During the scene when Emilia found out that Desdemona was killed by Othello because of Othello’s jealousy and her husband, Iago’s evil plan, she said, “Thou hast not half that power to done harm as I have to be hurt. O gull! O dolt! As ignorant as dirt! Thou hast done a deed, I care not for thy [Othello] sword. I’ll make thee known, though I lost twenty lives.” This quote shows how loyal Emilia is with Desdemona. Even though Emilia wants to put lesser distance between Iago and her relationship. She didn’t think twice about betraying Desdemona and stand on Iago’s side. This action shows that she was a women who stand in the right and doesn’t took personal matters in distorting the truth. In the performance, I want to show Emilia’s fearless and loyal side by giving her a stronger presence than Othello. I gave advice to Imani, casting as Emilia, to slowly walked forward while I, as Othello, backs off with a speechless and surprised expression. 

This quote also shows Othello’s state of mind after killing Desdemona. The fact that Othello strangled his beloved women (even if he suspects Desdemona to be cheated on him), but he also point a sword on Emilia. As a warrior, Othello puts his sword, a weapon to kill furious men on the bloody battlefield to a defenseless women. It shows that he is in a state of frustration and he totally lost his audacious former self to his jealousy. This is important because it shows just how deep Othello fell prey to the “green eyed monster.” It was a huge transformation of Othello’s former self to his dark side. When Emilia said the line, I need to be confused because I believed in Iago, so Emilia’s views are alien to me. I backs off, not because of Emilia’s sworn upon her life that Desdemona was not guilty and Iago is the mastermind of the tragedy, but because of Emilia’s fearless attitude in Othello’s presence. 

My group’s performance goes well in some aspects. I [Othello] tried to put on a surprised face when Emilia moves toward my sword. This is a breakthrough for Emilia’s character in past plays. Aaron (the Shakespeare instructor) said that he never saw Othello being backed down by Emilia before. Some of the things that doesn’t go as expected was the position of the characters. When, Emilia enters the door, I actually bumped into her because the setting of our rehearsals was in a different place. Some things that we are proud of was the emotions and the tone of our voices. For example, when I said, “She [Desdemona] was false as water.” I said it in an angry and eager tone because Emilia was in disbelief to the fact that Desdemona was unfaithful. But, he still wants to make Emilia believe what he believes. As for Emilia, she talked to different targeted audiences in one sentence. For example, when Emilia said, “Speak, Sweet Desdemona, Speak!” She was talking to Desdemona. When she said, “Help!Oh! Help!” she yelled to the people outside of the room (toward the door). 

The things that could be done differently in the scene was that I could put in more emotion and reactions when Emilia is saying the opposite of what Othello expects and intended to hear. I should put my hand on my forehead when I was irritated by Emilia’s unreasonable arguments.           

The play let me understand more about Emilia. Her loyal personality was not what I expected as Iago’s wife. Before the rehearsals, I thought that Emilia will be on her husband’s side when she found out that Iago was behind all of the abnormalities and the death of Desdemona. Since, she claimed to sacrificed her body in exchange for her husband’s future. It, then seems like Emilia was centered around Iago’s affections throughout the scene. But, during this scene Emilia actually stand to what is right and actually was vey loyal to her mistress.