Is it okay that:
But isn’t it also great that:
- 39% of Americans spend more time socializing online than face-to-face interactions.
- 88% of teenagers say that they have seen someone being mean or cruel on a social networking site.
- 92% of American toddlers have an online presence, ranging anywhere from a single picture posted of them to an entire profile made in their name.
- 69% of teenagers admit to have put their physical location in a social networking status update.
- “It may be possible that young people who have no experience of a world without online societies put less value on their real world identities and can therefore be at risk in their real lives, perhaps more vulnerable to impulsive behavior or even suicide.” - Dr. Himanshu Tyagi, West London Mental Health NHS Trust
- Teens spend an average of nine hours per week on social networking sites.
- 59% of students on the internet say that they have used social networking to discuss educational topics.
- 60 million Americans said that they got help with major life issues from people on their social network.
- Social networking sites allow people to express themselves in ways that they cannot normally do.
- Through social networking you can connect with family and friends who you might not be able to talk to face-to-face due to distance and such things.
Many smart and educated people can argue the benefits of social networking without a problem. For one, social networking can bring people who have the same interests and/or ideas together. Also, for those who do not share the same opinions it is a good way to learn about new ideas and hear from other people’s point of view. Another reason that social networking can be positive is by way of spreading information. I am part of a service group in our school called buildOn and before we do a drive for a certain program or organization, I update my facebook and twitter status to raise awareness about the action that we are taking, and how my friends can help. As a result, people become interested as well as support our project. Here are some examples of that: